Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!? >

Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg shooters!?!?!?!?

Old 01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Trying to stretch your range is never reccomended. Try picking better setups, better concealment, better decoy placement, or better calling...or all of the above. Not trying to be a smart A...but if you are having trouble getting birds within range on a consistent basis, then it's your strategies, not your gun that needs some fine tuning. Good luck!
I would tend to agree with this statement. I mean that in a trying to help a fellow hunter way, not as a put down in anyway. I know I was able to get birds to 60 yards all the time but never closer and I finally started making some setup changes that have helped alot. As far as the choke goes, I have a mossberg 835 with their factory XX full turkey choke in it. I know its a different choke but this one patterns great. Just based off of this info I would say it's probably a pretty good choke. Only one way to find out though. Good luck. Feel free to ask if you have anymore questions. Either post on here or PM me.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bassmaster1223
Thank you very much for your input. I have read about the jellyhead choke and a few people say that is is good out to about 30 yards then the pattern spreads like wildfire. I need to be able to shoot a good pattern at 50-60 yards because the turkeys I hunt dont like to come in close.
That combo with lead should be good on paper out to 40yds, but you really need to get them in under 30yds for the best results
Old 01-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

i shoot the mossberg xx full out of my 12 gauge 500. i have a 20 gauge that has one of those cheap HS turkey chokes in it. they both shoot okay i guess. my 12 gauge shoots extremely high for some reason though. everything from no. 8's for doves, to no. 2 black clouds for ducks, always way above where i'm actually aiming. i've learned to compensate and have had better success with it. anyway for what it's worth i think it's a fine choke.