Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First time hunter.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:57 AM
Spike

Question First time hunter.

Coming in the next few months I will be going turkey hunting for the first time. I dont really know where to start. What should I bring? What type of call is suggested? (Any one local to Beaufort South Carolina) What are good turkey locations? I have a Mossberg 535 12ga smooth bore with pretty much any choke available with that said What type of ammo is suggested? Any information would be appreciated.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 AM
JW
Super Moderator

To answer all your questiosn - Yes -

Spend a bit of tine reading the Tips posted here. Many use the Mossberg.

And also join in on the HNI Contest as it is a team event. Don;t win much but being on a team many share tips and tactics.

JW
Old 01-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

i use the huntersspecialties choke tubes they work great and arent too pricy.
also i use diaphragm calls simply because it is 100% hands free and saves movement. they take practice but you have plenty of time try getting a set with a dvd/cd in it those helped me alot. oh and be sure to have quality boots you'll probably want rubber and a sold turkey vest (not a necessity but helps alot)

PM me if you have any more questions
Storm
Old 01-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Spike

it sure is an addiction..if i were you and it was possible i would try to find someone to hunt with that has been in the game awhile ask alot of questions..thats how i got my start but if you cant find anyone then i suggest reading about it in magazines and watching the pros do it ive learned alot of additional information that way
Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hang around here and read all the threads and post any questions you have. There are many experienced turkey hunters on here that can provide alot of help. The best help you can get is talking to, or even hunting with, experienced hunters. Talk can only go so far though. I have talked to hunters and read a million articles but I would say I have learned 90% of what I know just from the experience of hunting and from the mistakes I've made. To help you out a little. I would learn to use a few different types of calls if you can. The more versatile you are the better. Whenever I talk to brand new turkey hunters though, I recommend starting with a box call. They are about the easiest to run and probably the most realistic sounding as well. Any other questions be sure to ask. Good luck
Old 01-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default tips

Just as the others have said read the posts here and get some hunting Buddy's. Join your local NWTF, great bunch of guys we all like to help each other but experience during the hunt is the best teacher.
Calls.... I suggest a glass friction call all you really need to learn is the yelp to start with then mix in clucks and cutting etc. You can learn the yelp in 5 min. with the friction call.

You will also want and owl locater call and coyote locater. Just remember you don't have to be an expert to be a successful turkey hunter. I prefer the H.S. Strut owl call and turkey calls but they can all work if you use them right and in the right situation.
Most important of all make sure you pattern your gun out to 40 yards or more so you can make a clean kill. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Taurus,

Either a box or slate call would be a good call to start with. Don't worry about the price of any particular call.

Also, don't fret if your local store doesn't have the latest "better-than-lead-absolute-turkey-smoking-magnum-shotgun-shell" They work, and I like using 1 or 2 brands, BUT they're not deal breakers.
My first bird was done in by a 2 3/4" lead shot turkey shell that doesn't sound impressive compared to discussions about more modern 3" or 3.5" head smashers. Find a shell that patterns well out of your gun and go with it.

I'm not sure if there's a final word on turkey hunting, but I'll post this so it doesn't get forgotten....Sometimes they really do come in just like on TV. Other times (most times?) they're a bit more cautious.

BUT...when it does happen, you'll never listen to a turkey gobble the same way again.

Good luck this spring. Go bust a big one!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 AM
Fork Horn

Taurus,
First I would bring with you a cushioned seat of some kind... Turkey hunting includes sitting for long periods of time so you want to be as comfortable as possible! Next I would suggest using a blind if your allowed to do so in your state.
When it comes to a particular call I would suggest buying one of each and practicing with them. This will accomplish 2 things... first you will learn how to use them and second you will decide which calls you like better. As for myself I prefer box and mouth calls. If your willing to spend a little extra money on a call try to purchase "custom" made calls... nothing against calls that are massed produced but I purchased a "custom" box call this past spring and absolutely love it! I also recommend purchasing a few locator calls... Owl hooter, Crow call, coyote call to assist in locating the gobblers... I will never forget when I used an owl hooter and had a gobbler respond... It was music to my ears!
When it comes to ammo there is so much stuff out there that you need to determine what load shoots best out of your gun... I have an 835 that shoots winchester 3" number 5 loads the best. I have no question that out to 50 yards I will kill a bird cleanly and I suspect that I can shoot out to 60 yards if I really wanted to...
I hope my 2 cents has helped you and I wish you lots of luck!!!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt small woods, and getting one to fly to you of the roost is 50/50. But if they heard you, they'll often be back around in an hour or two. Sit tight and call sparingly.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 AM
Spike

So I should shoot different types of ammo out of my shotgun and which ever handles the best is what I will use. I have a bass pro shop in the area so I dont think I will have any problems finding what I need. Thanks for all the information I appreciate it. Any more suggestions go ahead and keep em coming. Im writing this stuff down haha.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.