Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Where can i find merriams >

Where can i find merriams

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where can i find merriams

Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Spike

Default Where can i find merriams

I live in central kentucky and i was wantin to try my luck at a merriams this coming spring but i only have one problem..I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHERE TO GO..any help would be appreciated i heard on another thread about the black hills but i just dont really wanna drive twenty hours if i can drive ten for the same bird any input is greatly appreciated
Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

You pretty much need to put your driving pants on cause the closest merriams to you are in South Dakota and western Nebraska. There may be some hybrids a little closer but if you want a true merriams you need to go to one of those two places.(closest to you)
The black hills will offer more public land for your hunt and the scenery is awesome.
Good luck on your hunt.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Camokenny is right, drive on up to South Dakota or Nebraska. I live in SE South Dakota along the Missouri river and we have ton of merriams, I also know they are all over in NE Nebraska. You can find thousands and thousands acres of public land in SD and Neb. where you can hunt them. There are some great guide services in central SD where they will put you on birds. Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

This link will show you where all the turkey subspecies live:
http://www.nwtf.org/images/range_map_full.jpg

Merriam's are a lot of fun to hunt and the scenery isn't too bad either!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Spike

thanks for the input guys..PHA that map seems pretty handy thanks for the link but by lookin at it it looks like kansas has some rios so who knows i just wanna get the second bird of my grand slam taken this spring..so now its this dilemma..rio(kansas) or merriams (south dakota) sheww..looks like i have some serious thinkin to do...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kentuckybucks
thanks for the input guys..PHA that map seems pretty handy thanks for the link but by lookin at it it looks like kansas has some rios so who knows i just wanna get the second bird of my grand slam taken this spring..so now its this dilemma..rio(kansas) or merriams (south dakota) sheww..looks like i have some serious thinkin to do...

What dilemma add a couple of days to your trip and hit both birds in one trip. Sounds like a plan to me.
Good luck
Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

Don't forget Colorado has a lot of public land Merriam's, we also have Rios on the plains and The Best Scenery in the country! Texas has Rios also.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

you may want to go after a RIO instead, less you already have a rio? but if all you have chased/taken so far is an eastern, looks like a RIO would be closer to KY to be had than a merriams...

or maybe even the FL bird....but those cost more to chase...
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

If you are looking for a Merriam the Black Hills are pretty hard to beat.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

Which is the harder bird to hunt the RIO or the Merriam or about the same? Any pointers on hunting the two different types of turkey?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.