Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
my first trap and band, any advice? >

my first trap and band, any advice?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

my first trap and band, any advice?

Old 01-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default my first trap and band, any advice?

well i fainly got the call from my nwtf chapter to trap and band a few birds. we are supposed to start trapping the january so we are going to be fighting some real cold/windy/snowy weather. what kind of calling should we do to bring them in? what kind of feed? what are some good tips for handling the birds?
Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 AM
PHA
Fork Horn

Dylan:

I'm surprised that your Wildlife Ministry would allow NWTF volunteers to trap and band birds without their assistance. The way it normally works is the state/provincial wildlife agency oversees the trapping and banding and the NWTF local chapters assist them.

Here in PA there has been an ongoing study. The NWTF funds the major part of the expenses and PA Game Commission provides manpower and expertise. NWTF volunteers sit in the blinds with PGC employees and help with the trapping and banding process.

Calling the birds is not normally done as it is bait (corn) that brings them in. Trail cameras monitor visitation times. When a bait site shows consistent visits with the right make up of either gobblers or hens, the blind is put up and the cannon net set.

Here is a link with some good info: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=622312&mode=2

If you'd like some phone numbers for PGC or NWTF people who have experience doing this, send me a pm and I'll get them to you.

Good luck.

Larry
Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

PHA got it right....the details should already be worked out ahead of time for you. My advice to you as a participant:...ENJOY! It is a rare and unique opportunity to work in a project like that. Follow your instructions carefully and try to learn from the professionals involved. Trap and transfer has literally worked miracles in turkey restoration efforts, and thanks to the work of the NWTF, particularly. Thanks to you, as well, for volunteering your time and effort.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

well im not 100% sure on the details but winnpeg wild gobblers (formed seperate but now apart of nwft) got the money together, they with assistance from the manitoba wildlife federation (basicaly our governing wildlife authority in manitoba) got a few experts and a biologist together and they needed man power so winnipeg wild gobblers started phoning around and i was on the phone list. so this isnt a private trap and band but locals will be making up a majority of the group.

Last edited by dylan_b; 01-15-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've helped with trapping 3 years now, almost time to do it again....just have fun , learn from the experience, watch the birds behavior while you have time...to tell you the truth, they don't like using calls where i do it , but i always bring mine and just do some clucking and purring and an occassional yelp, maybe once an hour...I'm a firm believer in it, I've called in every group I have trapped and i know without it, it would of been a LONG and lonely day even with the corn out...I'd ask them about the calling, just minimize the amount of calling.I did have an issue last year, when i fired the net, the canisters caught the grasses on fire, i had birds under the net, fire all around them, it was an experience for sure, lol...put the fire out first if it happens, lol...Get pics.......

Last edited by huntnma; 01-16-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntnma
I've helped with trapping 3 years now, almost time to do it again....just have fun , learn from the experience, watch the birds behavior while you have time...to tell you the truth, they don't like using calls where i do it , but i always bring mine and just do some clucking and purring and an occassional yelp, maybe once an hour...I'm a firm believer in it, I've called in every group I have trapped and i know without it, it would of been a LONG and lonely day even with the corn out...I'd ask them about the calling, just minimize the amount of calling.I did have an issue last year, when i fired the net, the canisters caught the grasses on fire, i had birds under the net, fire all around them, it was an experience for sure, lol...put the fire out first if it happens, lol...Get pics.......
i might be mistaken but it looks like you got a classic cartoon box, stick and string
Old 01-18-2010, 02:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

lmao, does look that way huh?lol....the boxes were used to hold them until the release...I really did use a net, lol.