Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Homemade slate call?

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade slate call?

Ok quite a while back someone gave me some home made slate call's I was wondering if anyone knows how to make one?He had some kind of wooden stick...I would like to know what kind...and some like black rock or something...anyone know what kind of rock to use for the slate and what kind of wood to use as the stick...also how would someone goes about getting the rock down to .25 inch thin

any responce and help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Years ago I made one from a Skoal can, slate from a chalk board and a piece of cedar. I did kill 1 bird using it. I then retired it. There are a few members on here who can answer those questions. Im sure they will help you.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Well the slate is its own rock= it is shale that has been placed under heat and stress. It is then sawn into strips or sheets and then a hole cutter is used to cut the diameter disc you want. There are a lot of call making sites online that sell pre-cut slate, I use Brookside game calls for my supplies. The wood can be many types from hickory to exotics. So you can tweak them to get different sounds. I have a call that was made for me last year that is a copper surface...love it. I am not a call making expert, but I play with them some. PM if there are any other questions.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 AM
JW
Super Moderator

All of your questions on How to and why can be found here

Link

http://www.customcalls.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

JW