Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring turkey hunting

Old 12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Spike

Default Spring turkey hunting

newbe here,hello every one of you fellow turkey hunters,I'm fortunate to be in W.V -KY-TN this April-May anyone out there any inf. on these areas.please send P.M at [email protected] thank ya all by the way hunting 2010 elk to this year bowhunterhough
Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 AM
Spike

Weather definitely influences when and where turkeys go on a given day. Temperature or wind-chill, wind speed, amount and type of precipitation, and cloud cover all play a part in determining turkey behavior.

Turkeys usually start gobbling before sunrise, and most gobbling ceases soon after sunrise. Turkeys generally fly down from 5 to 30 minutes before sun rise. When the sky is cloudy, however, the birds may begin gobbling 10 to 20 minutes later than when the sky is clear, and they may fly down 10 to 20 minutes later than normal.

When temperature or wind-chill drops below freezing, there is very little gobbling, and the birds often wait until the air warms up later in the day before actively gobbling.
There is far less gobbling on windy, rainy days, simply because the sound of the rain makes it harder for the birds to hear, causing them to gobble less in response to each other.

Toms also respond less to hunters who call on windy and rainy days, probably because they can't hear those calls, either. Stormy weather in the evening can cause the birds to be late on their daily routine the next day.

Turkeys often roost within a few hundred yards of their morning feeding and strutting area, and they may use the same trees to roost night after night But when it rains or snows in the afternoon, they often roost earlier than normal in the nearest sheltered area rather than going to roost in the trees they normally use. This causes them to arrive at morning feeding and strutting areas later than normal the next day, because they have to travel farther to get there.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:18 AM
Spike

To sum up what ranu888 said...you need to get out and scout and don't wait til the day before season opens i've already started...my trail cameras are out and im seeing scratchings everywhere. Only thing is they will change their pattern before turkey season, just gotta keep up with what they do. Good luck to ya and I hope you have an awesome season!
Old 01-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. Good luck to you. Join our spring turkey contest. Its the best on the net...