Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Guestion?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Default Turkey Guestion?

How does a turkey’s pattern change, like from Jan, to April, into May?

Will they use the same roost, or go to another spot to roost?

Or do they move, according to food source?

Does their pattern stay the same form year, to year.
Or do they change, with each new spring?

Thank You

jrbsr

Last edited by jrbsr; 12-28-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

In my neck of the woods they just pretty much dispurse from the large flocks that you see in the winter .
If the food source is not at hand in the spring then you might see some movement out of all the flock but if the food source is still around then you should have some birds left in their winter range just more wide spread.
I have found that I can count on turkeys being back in the same areas each spring unless there was a huge change in the area.
jmo after 30 years of turkey hunting, this spring will be 31.

Originally Posted by jrbsr
How does a turkey’s pattern change, like from Jan, to April, into May?

Will they use the same roost, or go to another spot to roost?

Or do they move, according to food source?

Does their pattern stay the same form year, to year.
Or do they change, with each new spring?

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

From what little I've seen, they'll move a bit at different times of the year. The areas I hunt seem to have turkeys using the same certain roost areas seasonally, as long as they can get what they need. Changes in access to water will really change things up.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Spring: they generally seem to have about 2 spots they like to roost. I recommend finding these spots a day or two before season and setting up in maybe a nearby field or patch of maple/coniferous trees. Fall: find the food, and you will find the turkeys.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

it will very, IMO, from species and also the general area the birds are in.....I would suggest going off of the "basics".....birds will roost together but in different areas during each of the "seasons"...once you are able to pattern your local birds..things get easy....for instance, i hunt public land birds and they ALWAYS roost in the same spot during the spring time..lucky for me it is on the public land and not the private
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

they usally rooste in several places but in a general area but they tend to break up in the summer but group up from sept. to june i see but the travel habits change daily dependin on what they need that day so its hard to pattern them but the general travel area doesnt change unless they are pushed or pressured out of the area but i find with the easterns they like to rooste above treestands lol well in my neck of the woods
Old 01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Here in SC they normally break out of there big winter groups about March. Then there roosting changes depending on several things. As long as there not over hunted and not much predation they tend not to change roosting areas. Food usally determinds that.