Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Choke???

Old 03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I've hunted with my 1300 short turkey for the last 8 years, and took a lot of birds. It has a x-long x-full winchester choke and it's great! I have taken several birds at 50-55yds no problem, and I shoot hevi13's! Wouldn't think of changing chokes. That being said, I lost my front sight and am using my I-12 this season. I bought a tru-glo gobble stopper, and peppered a bird at 50 yards opening day and he flew off! I've taken 3 since, but the farthest was 30yds. Should have spent the money on a better choke!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Spike

Most forums you check there will always be mention of the Indian Creek Choke, the Primose Jelly Head, as well as Rhino chokes. All three good chokes. Keep in mind every gun will shot different. As to which choke is better will be determined by which load you use. Also keep in mind, the tighter the constriction, the smaller shots typically pattern better. If you are looking for a mid range, good choke check out the Jelly head and use heavy 13's 3 1/2 2 1/4oz 6 shot or the magnum blend. If money is no option then definitely get the Rhino Choke and use Nitro rounds, those rounds will cost you about 75 bucks for 10 rounds. The rounds are custom loads for your specific gun. You'll have to contact Nitro. Last thing to think about, go to a gunsmith and have your forcing cone lengthened it will definitely improve your patterns regardless of what choke you use. Almost all competition shooters will do this.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckhound
For the $ it's hard to beat a Jellyhead.
X2...I love mine, and couldn't ask for a better pattern.