Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Redemption is Sweet

Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Redemption is Sweet

After a start of three misses on gobbler with the bow this fall, I finaily connected one of my arrows with a bird. I started off the day again, without my mouth calls. I had to run all the way back home and get them so on my way out again I grabbed my Dave Smith decoy. Which by the way, it didn’t impress the fall birds at all. I first set up where I missed the first two gobblers and I didn’t hear anything. I then decided to take a swing around some of my favorite fall locations up near bla bla bla, next to blab la bla.
The first lone gobbler I’ve seen this season was out in a huge field feeding like he just drank ten cups of coffee. I quickly parked and made my move to a lone stand of tree near the big field. I started with clucks and immediately got several clucks backs. I saw a gobbler standing about 60 yards to my left which at the time, I thought was coffee filled gobbler. He just disappeared on me then I saw him on the other side of the field. Looking back, I believe it was a different gobbler. Anyways, I moved closer set up on the gobbler across the field and got him within 50 to 60 yards by clucks and short yelps. I got a little aggressive as if I was spring calling and he didn’t like it and moved out of the field into the timber. I was really wishing I grab the decoy from my truck when I first took off but I didn’t. Back at the truck I decided to swing by the field again to get another look and see how I could modify the hunt if I see him again another day. As I drove by I said what the heck, he didn’t see me so maybe he’ll come back out but with me on the other side and with the decoy.
I got back out to the field and set up the decoy on the edge and switch mouths calls. As I was waiting for things to settle I noticed turkeys in the same spot I just left 15–20 minutes ago. Seven hens come walking out into the field just yards from the clump of trees I was calling from. I tried my best to be heard but calling over 250 yards with a mouth call isn’t easy. I finally got the all heads up but they still didn’t come running over to me. Instead they feed to me but then started to angle to the back away from my set up and decoy. I made the move back into the woods and all the way to the back corner and waited. It didn’t take them long and they were all feeding just yards from me except for the hoping bearded hen. She angle away into the back of the field but did manage to feed my way once the other turkeys started leaving her. I had hens feeding 7 yards on the other side of the stone wall from me but I wanted to wait for “Hoppy” to get into range. When she got there, I started to draw back when I noticed the turkeys looking into the other back corner of the field. I look up and here come the gobbler and another hen across the field to the flock in front of me.
I waited seeing I rather take a gobbler and man worth it. All kinds of hell broke loose here the single hen arrived and it even got the gobbler to start semi strutting and getting in on the fighting. Just as I drew back to stick the gobbler, they all started running about 45 yards out into the field. Once there the hens all settled down and they started bathing in the sun. They looked to be drying their feather and it seemed like my hunt was over. I watched them for a good 20-25 minutes debating if the gobbler was 41, 43 or 45 yards out and when would be the best time to shoot. Not wanting to miss another gobbler I decided to wait it out and if it happens it happens! If it doesn’t then it doesn’t and I wait for a better chance another day. I didn’t have the patience’s to wait them out so I push the action by just giving a few clucks back into the woods behind me. All heads popped up and the first one to start moving in to see what was up was the gobbler. As he got closer I really took notice to his beard and it was all that impressive. Maybe 5 or 6” long so I decided to go after “Hoppy” if she gave me the chance. All the birds being lead by the gobbler walk any where from 10 yards out to 20 yards right in front of me feeding down the tree line. The gobbler was about 12 yards out and I really started to second guess my decision to pass on him. I thought for sure one of them was going to bust me. Well it didn’t happen and sure enough “Hoppy” finally made it into my range. I drew back and settle in on her and thwack!! I hit her perfect! She jumped about two feet and was done. In the photo is just how she was when I walked out. The other birds all started for the back of the field clucking and I joined in and man was that cool. They just about all game right back to see what had happened. That’s when I got out my camera and started getting those pics to share.
It was a pretty sweet hunt and I’m glad that my quick decision making in the field didn’t come back to bite me in the you know what. I probably should have taken the gobbler but I feel the hen wouldn’t have made it though the winter on just one foot. Plus I needed a hen head for my taxidermist to finish my NY bird. What better way to replace the hen than a head from another bearded hen that’s real close to the same size. Over all it was an awesome hunt

Here are all 9 birds taking in a little sunshine on in the field. The gobbler is on the left with two other hens just behind the leaves.

This was right after the shot and they ran off. I started clucking and just about all the turkeys came back to their fallen little lady.

Four hens gathered around the one I shot. You can see her in the middle of the photo in that little clear spot.

I shot the hen and took all the photos through the yellow circle in the photo.

What to say other than…….“Dirt Nap” by MK-M-GOBL

I thought I heard them yelling, “There he is! Let’s get out of here”

Back at the truck after the hunt.

Me and my boy who was very pleased when Daddy called him and told him I finally got a turkey!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

WTG!!!! That's one thing I never done before, take one with the bow. Congrats again on a awesome hunt and pic's to boot!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks maytom Since our season started on 9/15, I missed three times. One huge gobbler I missed twice under 20yds and the other decent gobbler was right at 20yds. Wasn't sure what I did wrong but I'm do not hunt from a blind so that might have something to do with it. Like rushing the shot or shooting at skittish turkeys that just watched me draw back on them

This is my second bearded hen and my fourth archery fall birds and man is it a huge rush chasing them the way I do in the fall. I have to admit though, after the last gobbler I missed, I almost gave it up and was going to wait for the one week of gun to come in. However, me giving up or settling for the easy way out wasn't going to happen I hope you're having an awesome season.

MK-M-GOBL
Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Congratulations to you and for sticking it out using your bow!

It's a nice bird and your son is pretty cute too!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

awesome congrats...