Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is your favorite turkey >

What is your favorite turkey

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is your favorite turkey

Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 AM

Default What is your favorite turkey

What is your favorite turkey hunt you have had or which bird has meant the most to you?

Hmm now that I asked this I have quite a few runnin thorugh my head.
I think one of my most rewarding hunts or eye opening experiances with a turkey was the first bird I ever walked up to. He was strutting around 15 or so hens in a bottom and It took me about 2.5 hours to creep within 35 yds in open hardwoods. The wind was blowin 10-15 and gave me some sound cover. I used a small 4 foot wide drain to creep up and once in range it seemed like it took me 5 minutes to shoulder my gun. It was by far one of the most intense stalks and bushwacks I have done

Old 06-13-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What is your favorite turkey

Every bird I shoot is memorable and awesome. But I guess the best is when my wife filmed me with my biggest bird which was a double beard 11in and 8in amd 25lbs...
Old 06-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

my favorite bird is the dead one.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

My first was my most memorble. My father and I set up on a bird along side an old road. Being new to it all I was in aww about everything. The most amazing thing of all was that the old tom did exactly what my dad said it would. When it came time he even reach around from behind me and cocked the hammer on my shot gun. 24 lb 11 3/4 beard and 1" spurs not bad for a young man huh? From that time forward I wanted to know as much about the sport as he did. We put the Mohican sneek on one together this year also it was awsome.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

everyone in their own right are speacial... i have had a few that really stand out though...
too long to detail, but several classic hunts all in the same area over the years.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:29 PM

One of my favorites last from this last past season in oklahoma. My wife went on her first turkey hunt ever after she filmed me taking 2 rios. We sent up 20 yards from a river and there were 5 or 6 jakes and one giant longbeard roosted on the other side. I did some soft calling and the hens flew down to the left of us about 10 yards and then the jakes and gobblerflew down right behind right after the hens. The gobblerwas 15 yards away from us,andthis guy was one of the biggest toms i have ever seen. He had to have been pushing close to 25 lbs., had a good set of hooks that looked to bearound 1.5" and he had at least 2 beards, both of which were thick and full one was probably 10" and the other was 7" or 8".Well she is following it with the gun and she goes to shot the turkey and she anticipated the kick of the gun and flinched. The pattern that was the size of a baseball went right over his head and he flew right back across the river. The best part of it all is after the hunt she said she didn't even feel the recoil when she shot and that she wants to go again next year which I am extremely thrilled about cause I have been trying to get her into hunting.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 AM

When i walked up to my Osceola County Florida gobbler and saw a pair of 1 7/8ths hooks, I realized I had finally done it, a huge weight had been lifted off my torso, my slam was complete.......great feeling
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Dominant Buck

My first was a hen (legal fall hen) back in the early 70's when the flock was first re-introduced to Vermont. I had never seen a wild turkey and rumor had it that an area near the bottom of the state had some turkey. I looked up the routes to get there on an atlas and left the house all alone at 1:00 am for a 3 hour ride to get down there and try my hand at it. I did some research and bought a box call and a kiki diaphragm to bring back busted birds. I got down there and found a nice looking ridge and started up the mountain. It got light and I heard a gun go off way up the ridge. I just stood there and could see some huge birds gliding down through the hardwoods like fighter jets with wings locked back. I didn't know what to make of it since I had never seen a bird so large. Then it dawned on me that they were turkeys and I took aim and dropped one as it glided past. I now had my first turkey a young hen that weighed about 9 pounds. I was pretty proud but decided that shooting one out of the air wasn't all that good from a sportsmanship standpoint so I tried the kiki run I had learned about. Low and behold within minutes I could hear birds coming all around me and soon after I harvested my next bird another 9 pound hen. That was the limit and I took them home and had a real frustrating time plucking them. The garage was full of feathers and the wife wasn't all that much impressed especially with all the pin feathers she had to pull after I presented her with my semi cleaned birds.In the years after that I hunted only spring toms and have harvested many well over 20 pounds. This year I got my two birds, both decent toms one was a 2 year old with 10 ½” beard and the other a 3 year old with 9” beard. I now breast them and cook them on the grill which makes my wife much happier.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I remember that feeling, it was awesome!!!!!

quote]ORIGINAL: nmblackgold

When i walked up to my Osceola County Florida gobbler and saw a pair of 1 7/8ths hooks, I realized I had finally done it, a huge weight had been lifted off my torso, my slam was complete.......great feeling
[/quote]
Old 07-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is hard to say. I have only killed 2 birds and both were this year. I had tried the last 3 years to kill a bird and wasguidedon all those hunts. This year I spent all winter practicing calling and did a lot of scouting in the early spring. I decided to go at it by myselfand Iput 2 gobblers down. Obviously there is nothing like the first, but I really can't say which means more. They both mean a lot to me, especially because I feel like I accomplished something , and also because I will never forget either of those hunts for the rest of my life. Talk about intense!

Quick Reply: What is your favorite turkey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.