Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fan Drying

Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fan Drying

About how long does it take for the fan and spurs to dry, when using table salt? I know most use borax when doing this process. Just a ruff estimate of time.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fan Drying

I've never used salt, only borax. If you get all the meat, fat, and bone out, it will take only1 to 2 weeks. The more meat and fat you leave, the longer it will take to dry. I let mine dry for about a week and a half.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Shouldn't take much more than a few weeks, just spot check every few days.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

As said, if you've cleaned the tail of meat and fat, a week or two. The spurs, I just heat up insome dish detergent along with a little bleach in water, and they're done in a half hour.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

When using table salt you should clean the salt off every couple of days and reapply as the salt will soak up the fluids and will harden and you will need to reapply fresh salt. 2 weeks should be long enough for your fan to dry.
Do not heat your spurs as you will cause the spur caps to fall off if your not careful. Just clean the scales and meat off the boneand set them in salt also, if you want to whiten them when they are dry you can apply some peroxide to the bone only. Use a q-tip to do this and don't get it up on your spur cap. You don't want white spur caps. Bleach will weaken the bone if left on to long.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for replies , this is fan I,m doing . It looks dry now, but I wasn,t sure how long to wait. I did clean as much meat and fat off. Will post pic when done with it. Thanks again Guys.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i use borax and put the fan between 2 pieces of cardboard and let it set for a couple of weeks
Old 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Each one of these took about 1.5 weeks

Yea, post a pic when you get it all done, I like to see people's fan mounts to get ideas.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I generally put a coat of polyurethane over the dried meat area on both sides when drying is complete.. just helps to seal it up...

Old 05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

i put mine in borax for like 2 weeks now i just need to tack it up

Quick Reply: Fan Drying

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.