Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Just won't come in

Old 05-15-2009, 07:16 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default Just won't come in

The birds just won't come in. They hang up and are with hens. I had one today that was 80 yards iut for over a hour. Is there anything I can do or try. I'm using a hen and jake decoy.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just won't come in

try calling from your tree then run back 50 yards hit the call real hard and run back that has worked for my step dad before ,,,or try changing up your calls.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:42 PM

what time of the day are you hunting?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Get rid of the Jake decoy

If you get a hen to talk to you - forget about the Tom and make that hen mad. Use your call to mimic the hen talk note for note - yelp for yelp, and cluck for cluck. She clucks - you cluck and keep it up till she stops - then you stop - once she starts again hit her again a bit harder and stop each time she does. About the third time doing this she more than likely will come find you and hopefully the Tom will be right behind her!
Match her tone.

JW
Old 05-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Fork Horn

Try getting in as close as you can to the roost....or try later in the morning...that's what happened with me...hen left the gobbler around 10 and at 11:21am I was walking up to a dead gobbler....
Old 05-16-2009, 04:35 AM
neb
Typical Buck

I have been hunting mornings and afternoon till dark. I do think that they may not have seen the decoys. I will setup a little differant and see what happens. Those old big boys are still following the hens. I seen hens all day long not sure why they aren't sitting. I also bow hunt so things aren't as easy and I hunt alone.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree... loose the jake decoy like JW said and just try a single hen. A mature gobbler doesn't have much problem with a jake but often he has been pummeled by several at once which is not good. If that doesn't work go with no decoys the next day. You might be dealing with an educated bird like what turkeygirl2 has....Oh I mean had.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

I called in a hen that was with a "hung up gobbler" once. I had a single hen decoy and she seemed to respond most to soft purring.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The way I see it, some birds have played the game far too many times and they refuse to come in.

Find where he roosts.. get in tight.. and soft call.. See what happens..
Old 05-17-2009, 11:50 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Well last night I got 2 nice gobblers to come to a jake and hen set up. They where both very mad and where going to kick some butt on that jake. Now is the part that is really bad. I missed not once but twice on these gobblers. I hunt with a bow and I'm a very good shot and confident when shooting but I did miss both turkeys. Well I will give it one more time this afternoon. These shoots where missed at 7:00 last evening. I had them gobbling like crazy. One more thing when I got back to the truck I set up the block and drilled the bulleyes at 20 and 30 yards. I must have had buck fever.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.