Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Is it my calling?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it my calling?

Ok guys, I'm a little puzzled here. I've been hunting a group of toms for the last two weeks now and getting no love at all. They roost in the same spots almost every evening. I can slip in there, as close as 75-100 yards from them undetected. I'm not a tree caller, so I usually won't make a peep until the first birds hit the ground. Up until fly down, they'll gobble pretty hard on the roost. Once on the ground, they hush up. They usually have a few hens with them. I call sparingly, just letting them know I'm there but they will not answer me.

A couple of mornings ago, I had two birds gobbling like crazy on the ground, though, they never seem to actually answer me directly. This went on for several hours that morning, but they'd never come closer.

I did get a bird to answer me one morning while he was on the ground. He came in to my left to about 75 yards, looked around for a bit, then left the area. Once I saw him, I figured he was going to walk right in to me, but instead left.

This has been going on for the last couple of weeks like this. They never answer me, but will gobble at any else.

Is it my calling?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is it my calling?

NO... it's called years and years of AMBUSH VULTURE HUNTING IN PA....these days, the norm seems to be, one cluck or yelp and they are GONE... thanks to our fellow ambushers without ever making a call, those who sit near the roost areas and nail them with half their foot on the ground, let the rest see that afew times and you'll see what happens to your area after that,wellthat's what we have left to deal with for the most part, you are not alone and it more than likely has nothing to do with anything your doing... don't worry, the ambush, never make a call boys will hear them and the killing will commence until they are all dead. ... posted or not, it makes no difference to the vast majority of PA's finest ambushers.. and they account for a large percentage of these modern day vultures so called turkey hunters, I've seen countless bird this year being hauled out of the woods and haven't heard a single call made by anyone, their getting so bold lately that they surrounda call hunter and blast anyting that responds to any sound he makes, it's getting sicking latley.....I perosnally have had a least 4 longbeards killed within 75 yards of me this season alone..it's getting a little old..
Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds to me like they're "henned up". They gobble good on the roost because they're calling up their harem. Have you tried em late morning? Once the hens start laying they will start leaving the gobblers to go lay eggs during that time frame.Sleep in a few mornings and try em between 10-12. Once the hens start setting and incubating their eggs your daylight (roost) hunting success will improve. When does the season end in Penn.?

Dan
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A little insight here. The property I hunt is family owned and we don't allow anyone on there. The birds we hunt are very lightly hunted at best.

mfd, I am leaning toward what you said....Henned up. I haven't had much of a chance to hunt till late morning with a new baby. Gotta have my priorities.

I encounter this same thing almost every year. They'll gobble their heads off once the hens leave them mid morning. Until then, its tough to get much of a rise out of them. I have all morning tomorrow to hunt so I'm anxious to get after em again.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're doing the same thing here Muzzy (and we're not far from each other). They're henned up at the moment, I believe. I had one double and triple gobbling on the roost Saturday morning. He hit the ground, and shutup.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

MUZZY, if that be the case then break them up just like in the fall, if you know where the roost tree is then go there tonight and wait for them to show, all it takes is a little movement and scatter them alittle....don't go crazy and scatter them to the four winds, just a little movement scare will do.. they will roost someplace reasonable close and will respond to their girl sounds tomorrow morning with ease.. be careful that no one else is around, whether you let them or not.. fall scatter techniques work well even in the spring...GOOD LUCK.. they should run to the call tomorrow... it may take a little longer for them to start in the morning as a result of the little movement scare but they will open up and will come in quickly, lonely sleeping in those trees after being so close to the girls for so long...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, it surely isn't as easy to have them even answer back, nevermind actually have them come in to your calling as it does on the TV shows. I've gotta tell you from my experience I would say that the majority of gobblers that get shot are shot by either hunters ambushing them OR simply by having the turkey make a mistake and just stumble upon a waiting hunter by accident. I may not be a great caller, but I have seen gobblers interested in calls only for very short periods of time if at all. I would bet that in many of the cases where they do get shot after being called, it's more likely that the bird just happened to wander to the direction of the waiting hunter. I think it just makes hunters feel good to think it was their calling skills that actually brought the bird in! I would bet that if an honest sample could be made, no more than a very small percentage of gobblers ever show any interest to hunters calls. In areas with good turkey populations a hunter would kill just as many gobblers without ever even giving out a yelp from a call! All it takes is being at the right place at the right time.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 PM

In the mornings turkeys roost together. Toms usually roost with hens and those are probably the hens they will stick with for the rest of the morning. Think about it: would a tom leave his hens to find more when he alredy has some in front of him? toms usually shut up when they hit the ground if they have hens in front of them.
good question so no it is not your calling.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

How much are you calling??? Could you be calling too much???

Now, they could be henned up, if so, hunt after 10 when they leave the hens...

If not, call real softly while they are still in the tree and have gobbled a few times, just before they fly down...Then shut up, don't even think about calling again...They know where you are and unless a hen gets to them first they will swing by to pick you up...You can scratch in the leaves a bit but there is no need to call in this situation, all you are doing is comditioning the birds...If they have been hunted a few times, they may come in behind you so be prepared to scoot around the tree just in case...
Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

nchawkeye,

I don't think I call much at all. Im with you on this one. A long time ago, after years of trying without success, I finally figured it out. I was calling way too much while they were on the tree gobbling. Now, I typically won't call at all until they're on the ground.

Quick Reply: Is it my calling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.