Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Wisconsin Turkey hunters >

Wisconsin Turkey hunters

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wisconsin Turkey hunters

Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wisconsin Turkey hunters

Ok, I have another newby question. I hunted the week of April 22, got my bird on the 23rd. he came off the roost and basically walked to with-in 20 yards of the blind with 7 hens and I took him. Now I bought another tag for the 6th week, May 20-24th. Are the birds usually with hens at this time like they were the two days I hunted, or more succeptable to calling? Also,I assume the bugs and ticks will be out in full force too? Any tips appreciated. By the way I will be hunting Zone 3 again.
Dandbuck
Old 05-01-2009, 12:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Wisconsin Turkey hunters

I hunt all the late seasons in WI.
Yes to ticks - no to skeeters - this is a late spring and it will need to warm up a ton.

Birds still may have be henned while others may not. Later day is better than early morning form the number I have taken inthe past years.
And hunting pressure really shows late season. Agressive calling may not work while soft clucking will. some may even be decoy shy big time!

One hting I do look for - find that single hen and then sit and wait and you more than likely will see the Tom! The Toms at this time do make a circuit - make their rounds.

But the weather is much nicer.

JW
Old 05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

I will probably be hunting where ther has been no pressure, as far i know of anyway.
Thanks
Dandbuck
Old 05-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I'm up in Wisconsin Rapids hunting this weekend...let me tell you the ticks are TERRIBLE already...I've pulled 3 wood ticks and one deer tick of me so far but I've seen them crawling in the blind and they're everywhere...I know that doesn't help your turkey hunting situation but I'm a newbie too and so that's all I can offer you at this point!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
JW
Super Moderator

got off the phone with several WI hunters I knew had 3rd season - all told me it ws tough and not much gobblin off the roost at all. Seems those that did get a bird they came in silent.

SoI will see how 4th season shakes up....the weather is slowly getting better and I was out 1st season and while I heard gobbles it was not all that great.

Sure is a late spring compared to the past 15 yrs!

JW
Old 05-04-2009, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

So. by late, does that mean it will get better(gobbles)? Driving around by the barn Sunday I did see three different Toms out alone looking for love. This was about 4PM, good sign?
Dandbuck