Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hung Up

Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 PM

Default Hung Up

Called in three toms tonight and they all hung up in the same spot. I couldnt figure out why they did it because i didnt switch calls, or change much of wht i did to get em to come in from as far as they were. But who knows wht to do when this happens, how to prevent it or just anything on hung up toms.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hung Up

Did they see you move? I think that might be what happened to me this weekend. Either that or the Tom was scared of my B-mobile.....
Old 04-28-2009, 03:08 PM

No, i didnt move. From where they were they probaly couldnt see my hen decoy. So idk
Old 04-28-2009, 03:15 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hung up happens and always leaves you scratching your head. With a strutter and they stop it just means they are not dominant and don't want the confrontation. I am still experimenting with a Jake fan vs a Tom fan.

Now some tips to help.......
At that point hung up - I do try racket calling cutting agressively and that has helped me a few times......Or soft purring with some leaf sctraching and a few soft clucks has also worked. But each sequence is dictated on how I feel this Tom is......and then there are times he don't move but goes back the way he came.

To those Toms they get a Name and they have won round #1!

On those Toms I look at where they stopped - check if they commonly use that area and look for a closer better set-up......

If they hang up upon seeing my decoy....Okay...the decoy is placed such that when they do see it - and they stop and it is too late as they are in range....

Fun ain't it? Trying to figure out an animal with a pea-sized brain!

JW
Old 04-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Yeah, its pretty interesting. But it's driving me crazy. Well this is my set up im hunting about 5 yards from the fence line in somevery thickbrush "impossible to see me inside" well off to my right about 20 yardsis a major game trail where everything goes threw it: deer, turkeys, coyote, etc. And this is where the turkeys cross in the evening to go to roost. My game plan was to get there around 4 and wait it out till they get there to fly up, but the toms were hot just gobblin up a storm at everything: vehicles drivin by, cows, etc. But they were responding really well with my calls and actually likin wht they heard and decided to come on to see if i was willin to give a lil piece up to em. My tactics were working, soft clucks, and yelps 2-3 every 15-20 min to keep there interest level high and they where, till they got to tht last 80 yards and after tht idk wht happened.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok if a strutter is comin in and gobbling decent the best tip i ever got was to shut up. if he is comin then he thinks there is something worth taking a look at. if you do feel the urge to break out the call then like JW said light calling. my sequence that pulled one in this morning and other times.
putt, purrrrr, putt putt, purrrr coupled with a little leaf scratching to simulate a feeding hen should put his mind at ease. the purr is a contentment sound that turkey make when they feel safe while feeding and such.
if your are using a hen face it away from where the toms are coming from. he want her to see him so this will force him to come into the setup to get her attention.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simple fix: .22-250

Birds have places they want to show off. You cannot forget that you are supposed to be going to him.... at least thats what he is used to. Birds have places they like to strutt.. and when they get there.... brother they draw a line and thats that. Solution.... meet him there and punch his ticket.

What JW said about decoy positioning is dead on. I've held for a long time that birds in fields will often hang up 60 yards from a decoy.... that is usually how you end up with the magic 80 yard bubble.... because most gun hunters put their decoys about 20 yards in front of them.

If I know where the birds are coming from.... I like to put the decoys 30 yards to my right (I'm right handed) and keep the birds coming in from the left. As JW said... let him go ahead and take a stand 60 yards from the decoys..... he'll only be 30 yards from you. SMILE.... Wait for flash!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 AM

Everything tht is being said is what ive done, he's comin i didnt say anything. I couldnt get closer as i said because of property lines. And those turkeys i doubt saw my decoy because of where they wereand the position i had to set up. So idk. . .i had a bird comin to me this mornin and a dang coyote scared it off.