Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Now im sad.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Now im sad.

Decided to go hunting in the downpour yesterday. after getting back and drying off i found that my old reliable Knight and hale ole yeller slate call had a crack in it. so off to the store i went. picked up the new hs strut ring zone ceramic. dang that call sounds good. those toms this morning went nuts over it. i have a new favorite.
but i still miss my baby
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Now im sad.

Never have used either...
I have had good luck w/ the Primos Power Crystal though...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i dont like the new version of the ole yeller. mine was a gift from my turkey mentor and now its gone.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

i too have an original ole yeller in the clear/green plastic pot....that thing is the best call ive used...

sounds awesome and is super easy to run...doesnt need conditioned near as often as slate and glass and is very consistent compared to slate and glass...

mine is getting very thin though...its starting to loose its sweet sound....i gotta find a replacement..

got one in the camo pot last year and it sounded like crap...i dont even know where its at..it was garbage...might try the cherry pot version next...i just love that call and surface...

gotta find a replacement soon...
Old 04-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

yep mine had the green pot. sweetest sounding call i have ever owned. no pressure needed. it could almost run itsself lol.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Mo - ebay...maybe you'll find what yo need.

I sat on a very old box call few years back and yave so many box calls now trying to replace Ole Faithfull.....I glued it back but she was not the same and did not run the same! Sniff!

So I know what ya mean!

JW
Old 08-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Spike

Last year while on public hunting land with my oldest, I decided he could have the 1st run of the seaon. I had him set up and I dropped back 35 yds or so and sat below a tree. I called for nearly an hrs, getting responce from the OTHER side of a large pond. After about 5 mins sitting there waiting for responces to get closer I let my eyes wander around a bit. Sitting there plain as day was an old well worn triple slate call. How old I ain't sure. maybe from prior season. Pretty beat up looking but the sound is so SWEET. I love this thing. Just something that you come by 1 in a trillion chances. On the 1st day of either of our turkey hunting lives. No bird, but new (Old) toy and a little story for the books.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mo now ya make me wanna drive over and get a bird.