Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

WHY DO YOU HUNT?

Old 04-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default WHY DO YOU HUNT?

I lived in a household that wouldn't allow guns. My dad liked them, but my mom was a die hard liberal who wouldn't allow us to have them or learn how to hunt. I was raised a Democrat and swallowed the anti-gun pill for a long time (until I was in my early thirties). I went back to school and studied politics, history, and philosophy.

I have myriad reasons why I'm pro gun and pro hunting, but I'd like to hear yours.

Old 04-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: WHY DO YOU HUNT?

Reason to hunt, cause I don't like shopping for food in the grocery store. I find the "isles" that mother nature has are much less crowded and more enjoyable to walk through. AND, I like meat with nearly every meal!
Old 04-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

its something that need no explanation. just ask the guy i took hunting yesterday. the feeling he got when he had that gobbler less than 25 yards away breaking into a strut. His quote "My hands were shaking!" and he didnt even kill it.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bmumford

I lived in a household that wouldn't allow guns. My dad liked them, but my mom was a die hard liberal who wouldn't allow us to have them or learn how to hunt. I was raised a Democrat and swallowed the anti-gun pill for a long time (until I was in my early thirties). I went back to school and studied politics, history, and philosophy.

I have myriad reasons why I'm pro gun and pro hunting, but I'd like to hear yours.
Totally opposite here...Dad grew up during the Depression, dropped out of school in the 5th grade and hunted for food and profit...Went to WW-II, was wounded twice and made it back because he was a hunter and a good shot...We grew up in the country, raised hogs and butchered 20 pigs a year as well as smoked, cured, etc...Also had a big garden, so I was hunting by age 6 with Dad and on my own by 10...Can you imagine letting a 10 year old today go out the back door to squirrel hunt???

Hunting, fishing and sex are the 3 most natural things that I do...
Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

he funny thing is those are my 3 options also
Old 04-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt because there's nothing else I'd rather do..And everything about wildlife and the outdoors fascinates me.
Plus, I know if $#!%hit the fan in America, my family would survive, and the people who rely 100% on products from a store, would not.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad brought me out hunting with him when I was 8 andI liked it a lot! by 9 I took hunters safety and that fall we went duck hunting. We duck hunted till I was 12, then I thought, there must be something else to hunt that taste good and is fun to get out and chase after! So we went for spring turkey! Funner than duck hunting!!! Later that year, I went deer hunting, and that was fun to! I didn't get any deer, but it was still fun getting out and hunting. Now I am 14 and have shot 3 turkey, 1 bear,1 blacktail buck, 1 white tail,4 geese,and over 100 ducks.

P.S. My Grandma and mom said hunting was bad when I first started... Now... They got the taste of wild game, and love it!
Old 04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I won't BS anyone and say it has anything to do with food. Granted I like to eat wild game but these days... no one really lives off of the stuff.

I hunt because I LOVE to.... I'll make no apologies about it. I love the challenge of gettin' close to game. For me.... it's all about trickin' 'em! Seeing how close I can get that gobbling turkey, sneeking whitetail buck or decoying flight of geese is what it's all about. There is nothing that gets my heart racing and blood pumpin' like nature does! I also don't care mind what weapon style I may be hunting with during the changing seasons.... bow, shotgun... whatever the state mandates I carry, I'll be after 'em.

I guess for me.... I hunt, ...... because I have to! I honestly couldnt imagine doing anything else!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Everything. The rush, food, ups, downs (the downs make the ups 10x better), a little bit of exercise, accopmlishment, belive it or not ithelps you in life,ect., ect. I'm sorry you had to grow up in a family with aliberal mom because I don't know what I'd do if I was in that situation.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

The reason I love to hunt is that it is a way of life to me. I was raised around hunting, firearms, fishing, gardening, and the outdoors in general. I guess that happened a lot in NW Pennslyvania... I would never take it back either! It has shown me how great it is to have wide open spaces!
l guess that it also has to do with the fact that my ancestors did the exact same thing which makes me feel connected to them... Only their lives depended upon their success where as I can go to the local market to get food if I do not kill something.
Whenever I have children I will take themhunting, fishing, camping, scouting, and whatever else not... So they can also make the choice to have those activities as part of their life
There is my .02 cents on why I hunt!

Quick Reply: WHY DO YOU HUNT?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.