Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

MN opening season

Old 04-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default MN opening season

Had this guy come by yesterday morning. My seson was over within the first hour
Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MN opening season

Congrats!!!

Looks like a great tom!

Tell us a little bout the hunt!
and size of the bird!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

I had turkeys gobbling all around me Wednesday morning, they wre going nuts. I waited until I heard some fly off theroost before I did any calling. Up until then I hadn't heard a single hen, as soon as I let out a couple of soft yelps the hens started yelping like crazy. I seen three Toms and four hens in field across the valley from me, but I could here more yelping and gobbling in the woods in front of me.About 10 minutes later a hen came out 20 yards in frontof me, she caught me completely off guard. I had my gun in my lap and my camera was off. She stood there fora minute or so, I thought I was busted, but she finally walked by and out of sight. I turned to watch where sheheadedoff to because there was alot of gobbling in that direction as well. All of a sudden I heard this guy spitting, I slowly turned my head and there he was about 25 yards away all fanned out, and yes my gun was still in my lap and my camera was still off. He stared at me forawhile and then started off in the same direction that the hen went. I slowly got my camera turned on and got my gun up. Unfortunately when I swung around on him I bumped my camera and did not get it on film. It was a 35 yard shot, he weighed just over 20# and had a 8.5" beard, spurs were .75".Not the biggest bird but it was a great morning. I have never had that many Tom's around me gobblinglike that. Well good luck to everyone else this season. Now I have to wait for Sept. and Bowhunting.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a fine bird!
Old 04-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the great bird. nice job
Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a fine bird!! I've never been able to shot a bird on the first day. I'll see what I can do on my first day May 5th.