Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

back from hunt

Old 04-27-2003, 07:28 PM

Default back from hunt

Just got back from my turkey hunt.Shot a longbeard on wednesday morning,opening day.Had a tom strutting on a ridge top with a hen about 80yds away.He would come to the edge of the ridge on then go back about 40yds. After a half hour of this I snuck up the ridge when he started going back.When I peeked over the ridge I couldn' t see him but the hen was only 10yds away.Then he gobbled from behind some trees 40yds away.I gave a couple soft clucks and he took the couple steps I needed to make the shot.He weighed 22#,two beards 8 1/2" &2" ,3/4" spurs.
Friday I called in two toms for my hunting partner.I had roosted them the night before about 200 yds off the road.In the morning we went in early and got behind them so we wouldn' t be calling them towards the road.After the toms flew down a hen came sailing over our heads and headed towards them.She wasn' t with them when they came strutting down the trail.At 35yds my partner dropped one.18#,10 1/2" beard,7/8" spurs.Both birds were taken on public land.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: back from hunt

Awesome gobbler for sure!! Great pic' s!! Congrats on a real beauty!!
Old 04-28-2003, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

awesome bird, congrats
Old 04-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pics! Loved the story too!

Congrats!
Old 04-28-2003, 08:16 PM

Thanks guys,I really learned alot this year.Every morning the hens were talking like crazy.I heard more hen talk this year than I ever have before.Great to listen to but also kind of frustrating.Whoever said not to call too much or too loud forgot to tell that to the hens.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:51 PM

Nice going Wacker! And public land to boot! That' s got to make it even more satisfying. Congratulations are in order! That looks like your zebrawood glass call you made from Custom Sawing in the pic? Did you call both birds in with it? If so, then you should be doubly proud. Got to feel good to call in a bird with a call you made yourself.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:30 AM

Way To go Wacker!

Congrats to you and your buddy.

Old 04-29-2003, 04:16 PM

Mtt,the glass call was used on the first one along with a madd mouth call.I used a Lohman box call on the second one.

Jerry,good to hear from you.After shooting that gobbler on wednesday I remembered a hunt Gobbcaller described where he moved up on a gobbler that was strutting back and forth on a ridge top.Glad I was able to put one of his tricks to work.