Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Double beard Pig ?

Old 04-27-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Double beard Pig ?

Well I got a nice one finally, get the pics latter, the bird is at the taxidermists as we speak. This is for team 11# Its a nice Double bearded 25 pound bird. And yes I am tickeled pink. I just have to decide how to mount him.[:-]
He has a 11 in. and a 9 in. beard 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 in spurs. Beautiful bird. I got him on the 4th day of the hunt. I saw him every day in the same local, so after being shot, thats right ,[][:@][:@] shot on friday morning by another hunter I decided to move out of the area that I was hunting and try for this bird instead. I went in early with tennis on to be quiet (4:30). He parked himself in front of me with a hen at 5:45 and I watched him and videoed him till 6:00. That was it. Talk about happy, wow, when I saw the beards and spurs, it will take some doing to top this one for me. I will post the actual score when I get it. About 88-89.

Now about the hunter that shot me, He pulled up in front of me after shooting hour and stopped. I was out in the middle of a grass field laying on my stomach with a camo cover over me , I got up on my elbows when he stopped and parked, I thought he was looking at my decs with binocs when all of a sudden " BAM" [] and pellets hit me from my shoulder to my leg. [:@]I got up and introduced myself to him as politely as I could in that situation.

The guy turned out to be an old farmer with a handicap license to shoot out his vehicle, I explained not to shoot at any turkeys that dont move anymore.
By the way, its sure nice to still be able to see, another foot of pattern over and who knows?[:' (]
Old 04-27-2003, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Double beard Pig ?

awesome , cant wait to see the pics
Old 04-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a day what a story!!! Thank goodness you were not seriously hurt.

Team 11 is looking better all the time. [:-]

Congratulations on an exceptional tom!
Old 04-27-2003, 05:01 PM

Reminds me of a time I was judging a NSTRA field trial in Canada and got shot (in the shoulder and face) by a rookie handler. Fortunately for me, I was a ways away, and only a few pellets struck me, as he didn' t pull the trigger exactly when the bird flew between us, just a split second later. One pellet, however, directly struck my eyeglass' s right shatterproof lens, dead center, and another my left lens, lower center. Without those shatterproof glasses, I' d be blind now. (Though some people say I must be blind, anyway.) I still have one of the pellets in my right shoulder, and often say a prayer of thanks to God that I still have my vision when I behold a spectacular vision such as a tom in strut, a beautiful spring sunrise, nature' s splendor in any form.

Don, way to go!!!! Another great bird for Team Eleven!!
Old 04-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats that sure is a hog!!..man id love to get a nice multiple bearder!!!...congrats...sorry about getting shot.....thats horrible....he had to see you laying there...but he STILL shot????
Old 04-27-2003, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a real beauty of a gobbler!! Way to go!!
Old 04-27-2003, 08:57 PM

Thats a real dandy!!!CongratsIt seemed like all the birds had hens as soon as they hit the ground by me.I have never heard as much hen talk in the morning as I did this year.Manage to call in a couple by going in early and setting up up close to the roost.How was it by you.I was in Clark county.
Old 04-27-2003, 10:03 PM

Congrats
Old 04-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!!
Old 04-28-2003, 07:55 AM

Wacker.... Same thing, all the toms had hens, couldnt call any away from the real thing. I didnt use any decoy or calling that day, I snuck in hopping to catch him with his hens before he got too far out in the field. Worked out good.

Where I go by Mondovi, ther are alot of mature turkeys, but they aren' t dumb, Ive gotten lucky 3 out of the past 4 years so far, 23# with a 11 1/2 in beard, 23 1/2 # with a 10 in. beard and this one. Last year was tough, all toms in large groups, wouldnt budge, on the last nite I missed a good one that snuck in from behind, alone, go figure.

This pic is from the 23# 11 1/2in taken 2 years ago, pic didnt turn out too good unfortunately.

Quick Reply: Double beard Pig ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.