Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

lost my cherry

Old 04-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default lost my cherry

I have never been turkey hunting before!
Last night I was out on our land and heard some gobbling off in the distance. I decided to try my hand at my first thunder chicken this morning. I have the clothes, the gun, the calls, but up to today it was all "theory".
I commute to work an hour each way, and have spent 6 mos practicing my diaphragm call for 2 hrs a day in my truck.
I got up well before daybreak, got dressed and headed out. It took me about 10 minutes to walk to where I set up. I set out two bad plastic decoys (tom and hen) about 35 yards from the tree line, and I found a tree a few feet into the cover to sit against. as the sun came up I almost lost hope, then I heard a gobble about 1/8th of a mile to my left, then one to the right, then again behind me! My heart was RACING. Then I saw about 6-8 birds silhouetted against the sunrise high in a tree, and I could see them preparing to fly down. They flew down, and started "talking" and the other gobbling groups began talking back, and coming in. They seemed to be converging about 500 yards from me over a small ridge, but I could still see them. I was terrified to start calling just in case I scared them off. I tried and immediately they gobbled. then I saw 2 toms coming across the field from my right, headed to the large group forming in the valley. I called and they responded, but did not change course. I then got nervous and started all kinds of random calls, and I'm still not sure what I settled on, but I think it was some fighting purrs. Then they both turned and headed my way as if they wanted to see who was fighting over the hen. as they got closer I saw that one was a jake and one was a BIG tom! Now my adrenaline is PUMPING. So far everything was playing out like something from the hunting shows I had been watching all winter!
The larger of the 2 birds showed up first and I knew when he was within 35 yards, and I remember thinking to myself... "this is really happening....what do I do now?. Oh yea.... SHOOT IT !
I slipped the safety off, and I assume the gun fired, I didn't hear it or feel it, but he dropped like a rock!
26 lbs, 1 inch spurs, 11" beard and DELICIOUS fried up !

Old 04-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lost my cherry

that is an awesome first bird. Congrats
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

thank you very much ... I am WAY excited to try again!
I have a questions, do any of you slow cook the legs/thighs for soup or anything or is it a lost cause?

Thanks

Old 04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on fine gobbler....

I like to crockpot the legs and thighs until the meat is very tender and then use it for casseroles or sandwiches...There are a lot of tendons to pick out of the legs, ( they come out fairly easy when it's cooked) but there's a lot of meat there too..
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

lately i have been keepin my birdswhole and deep fryin them.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to try boiling the legs and thighs first. They can be very tough. I prefer to debone them first and then boil the meat for about an hour and a half. I like to chop the meat up and make barbeque sandwiches with it. Congrats on your first tom. Sounds like an exciting beginning to a lifelong passion. Now go back and get another one while their hot.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!! I bet you think it's easy now, don't you? I can tell by the smile on your face that your a turkey hunter for life now.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your first gobbler!!! It sounds like all that practice with the calls paid off.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck of a first bird, that smile says it all, congrats!!
Old 04-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats that is a fine first bird. I will go out on a limb and say that you are officially hooked.

Quick Reply: lost my cherry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.