Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP (update) >

Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP (update)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP (update)

Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP (update)

Its youth day tomorrow and It sounds like it is going to be 20mph winds in the morning. I have scouted this area as much as I could Public Land Quantico Marine Base. I found signs of turkey but never seen any. There is good woods(spot1) and some dirt roads along power lines (spot2)and some open wooded area.(spot3) I saw most signs in the open woods. but saw a lot of tracks in the dirt road along the fields that where close to the woods I have no Idea were they roost.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP

Id set up on those dirt roads along the power lines. they will be struting down those roads.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP

It has been a long time, but the first serious attempt I ever made at turkey hunting was at Quantico. Thats pretty much where I got hooked, even though I never shot a bird there. I used to see turkeys there when deer hunting in the fall and gave it a try one spring. I didn't know much about the sport at all. I called some in close but was never able to seal the deal. I remember pulling up to the training area I was assigned to and when I closed my truck door had at least 2 birds shock gobble. Got set up and tried calling, and another bird gobbled from behind me, but CLOSE! I believe I over called a bit and thinka decoy might have made a difference there, but you live and learn. That was probably 14 years ago. After that season I ended up moving north and didn't get a chance to hunt for a couple years, but now I'm hopelessly addicted to it. Good luck to you, and let us know how you make out!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Our first time out. Gong to Be windy HELP (update)

Ok after a lock gate and 40 min ride we made it in the woods. we set up in the #2 spot and started to sink in the mud. the field had been turn over and was real soft so we move to spot 3 and noting. On our way out we passed were we had set up first and wouldnt you know it FRESH TRACKS had we stay put we might had seen what it was.

so saturday is open day and my daughter is going with we and it is calling for showers. do you think the turkey will stay in the woods or come out to the fields again ?
Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Sit field edge where the most sign is and stay put. If you have a blind so much the better as in a blind movement can be done easily. Fully enclosed blinds do offer protection from rain. That blind with a decoy or two and you will see birds even if it rains.

Now thunderstorms I stay in the truck - but once that passes I head straight to my blind and wait it out. Brief lulls can really turn birds on. I am trying to upload a video of what I saw in a good rain.

In rain the birds still gotta feed. They will sit in open woods and more likely on field edges.

Now with your duaghter find othe things to keep her busy. Put a box call or a pot call in her hands and teach her how to call. Both of you call - Hot chocolate and or maybe a piece of liquorice might bide ya a bit more time. The more fun you make it for her - the longer she will likely stay.

JW
Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

with rain you gotta hit the field edge.