Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Northern Kentucky

Old 03-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Northern Kentucky

Throwing a question out there to our Kentucky hunters. I am soon headed down to South East Ohio for what's become an annual hunt with a couple good friends. We have noticed that Kentucky opens before Ohio and I have pondered going for a 2 state trip. Although it won't happen this year I'd be interested in doing some planning and was wondering about the northern (most specifically north eastern) part of Kentucky.

We're experienced hunters on a budget so we'd be looking for a do-it-yourself as opposed to guide fees. Any public land in that part of the state? Any new hunters looking for some hunting buddies for a couple days? Anyone interested in getting your first "foreign" turkey might want a hunt swap as well.Although the birds end thier cutting and yelping with "eh" we have the same Eastern wild turkey here in Ontarioand lots of them.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Northern Kentucky

If I go then you would get to hunt with me

Steve, Kentucky isd a great place with real steep hills [8D]
Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

Lol. Ya I'd have to lose a few myself eh. Between the ridges and hollers of Ohio and there I better be in shape.

I wasn't necessarily referring to myself when I said "experienced" hunters [8D]ha ha. But yes, if you have a hankering to hunt with one of North America's premier turkey hunters who has double digit grand slams then you got it. At the end of the day you have 3 turkey nuts who love to hunt. Adrian has made a living off of turkey hunting and I have dragged his butt south again to get him back to just good ole tukey hunting. Even still he'll usually has that fancy smancy HD Video camera with him but we have fun.

We wouldn't be afraid to run across the state line and hunt a public wildlife area that had birds but would need to do a little homework before hand. That's why I'm asking now.

Thanks all.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

I should add as well that I have done a little research on my own. Perhaps to be more specific I was wondering about the Clay and Fleming WMA's? They are both in the northeast part of the state and appear to have good turkey habitat. Anyone hunt these areas?

We are not going to be in a position to search 8000 acres on maybe a 2 day hunt so we'd need a little help fromour fine friends in the hunting community on where to start.
Many thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Well I live in boone co. Ky and the closest WMA would be Lloyd's. I hunt a lot of private land that isn't mine, but I will be scouting Lloyds for early bow season this fall. I will be finding out a lot more about that place after this turkey season. Maybe then I could help out.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

That's awesome mj. That's the kind of stuff we're looking for and why I'm asking now. I'll have to check out where Lyod's is but Kentucky DNR has a great map site fo the areas.

Thanks agian and will check back in after the season. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

mj, I didn't see Lloyds on the list? I see Boone is in the far northern part but is Lyods WMA part of your county or another one? Does it go by another name as well perhaps?

Thanks.