Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Follow Up Shot Size?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 AM

Default Follow Up Shot Size?

Do you like to use bigger shot sizes for second & third follow up shots?
I’ve got some Remington Hevi Shot Nitro Magnum Loads, 3” 1 3/8 oz 1450 fps in sizes #4 & #2 shot. (duck loads from two years ago)
Thinking of using #6 shot for first round then going with the #4 for second & the #2 for third round. Any thoughts?
Next question: I’m planning on using 3” Hevi13 #6 shot for the first shot out of a Remington 11-87 factory full choke. What would be best, the 1 5/8 oz or the 2 oz Hevi13 load?
Thanks for the feed back…..
Old 03-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Follow Up Shot Size?

I stay with the load my shotgun shoot the best... for first shot, and any follow shot that may be needed.... which it won't be IF you're using Hevi13. lol!

Based on any testing we've done, the 3", 2oz., #6 is THE best patterning Hev-Shot load in all of our guns we've fed it through.

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Firstly, you need to check with your state regs to make sure #2 shot is legal. It is not legal in any state that I ever hunted. Fours or smaller only.

Since Nitros are so expensive I only load one Triplex 3.5", 2.25oz' 4X5X7 in the chamber. What is loaded behind it really doesn't matter because if I can't kill him with that there isn't much point in any follow-ups.

On the other hand, I have shot turkeys (pre-Nitro days) that were notcompletely dispatched with the first shot and had to shoot them again. For those shots I would recommend going with smaller, rather than larger, shot because it provides a larger, more dense pattern. A wounded turkey will be moving and hitting them running or flying is no easy task. The more shot the better in my book.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is no way I would recommend decreasing pattern density for a follow up shot. Those Hevi-13 #6's will have more killing range than you have pattern density. If you don't get them with it the first time hit them in the head the second time and it is a done deal.
The 2oz offering is quite superior to the 1-5/8oz load.
If you are going to be using the factory full choke you will probably increase your range (by increasing pattern density) a bit by going to the Federal Heavyweight #7's with the Flitecontrol wad. Might want to give them a look.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

I would just stick with the same load for the sake of simplicity. You would first have to make sure that each load patterned well out of your shotgun/choke (which is not a given), plus I wouldn't want to have to worry about accidentally loading the wrong shell first when i was loading my gun in the dark woods at 5 am. Also, if you are shooting at a turkey and you haven't killed him with the first two shots chances are the third shot is going to just be a waste of ammo haha. You give that old tom two warning shots and you can bet your bottom dollar he is getting out of dodge at about Mach 2! If you bring him down with that third shot you are either one hell of a shot or one lucky SOB, or both!
Old 03-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others as well. Your gun is set up to pattern a certain shell well, so why use a different shell altogether for a second shot?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with what your gun likes best. #2 probably isn't legal, check your regs. I've never taken a follow up shot...
Old 03-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Fork Horn

I load one nitro and my follow ups are the cheap turkey loads that are about 5x worse than nitros. The reason is if you cant kill him with a nitro that what to expect from something else?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM

Thanks for thefeed backguys. This Saturday will be my first time after Turkeys so looking for all the help I can getto improve my odds with Mr. Tom.
About bigger shot sizes for 2nd & 3rd shots, I’ve been doing that for 35 years on pheasants & waterfowl. I use 1 ¼ #6 – 1 3/8 #5 – 1 3/8 #4 all doing 1330 for pheasants. On waterfowl I also go up in size 4, 3, 2 or 4, 2, 1 or 2, 1, BB depending on the scenario. blind, drain, sneak, woodducks, mallards, geese, etc. So I had to ask about what to do on Turkeys.
One more time out scouting then its on…1st time out??1st shot 1st bird ???Still got lots to learn but I’m doing my home work & got my fingers crossed. [/i]
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first shot is a Rem. Hevi Shot Magnum 3 1/2 inch 5 shot. My second shot is the same, if needed. My third shot is the same, if needed. Why would you go with a cheap shell on your 2nd and 3rd shots? This is probably when you would need your best shells. Just make sure you get a first good shot so you won't have to worry about a 2nd or 3rd shot. If you hunt long enough, you will miss. I believe it's better to have the same load in case of a 2nd or 3rd shot.

Quick Reply: Follow Up Shot Size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.