Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Season over quickly. Nice turkey. >

Season over quickly. Nice turkey.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Season over quickly. Nice turkey.

Old 04-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Season over quickly. Nice turkey.

Today is opening day in Indiana. I was set up on the edge of a woods near a big field at 6:00 and waited for daylight. I figured since it would be sunny today, they would come out to the field. I called some on a M.A.D.D. Simplicity push-button call and a Lynch Fool-Proof box call. I got some replies. About 7:20, here comes one over a little rise. He immediately spotted the jake and hen decoys I had set up in a mating configuration about 15 yards in front of me. He walked right to them and proceded to try to climb on the back of the jake decoy. I could swear the gobbler had a really confused look on his face. He was facing sideways to me, and would not lift his neck up for what seemed like hours to me. I thought I could shoot him anyway, so I took a shot. I use a Mossberg 835 with the tightest Hastings extended choke you can get. BOOM! The bird gets off the jake and walks like a drunk for about 5 yards. I shuck another shell. CLICK! I hadn' t fully ejected the spent shell, and it went back into the barrel. I shuck real hard this time. BOOM!
Now the bird staggers quickly to the left. CLICK! (again). Reshuck. BOOM! He' s barely standing. I figure I can just catch him now, so I run over to him and make like Dick Butkus with a fine tackle. In mid tackle the idea that the bird had spurs went through my mind. However, it all worked out fine and I had a nice bird.
21.5 pounds, 23mm spurs, 10.5 inch beard. It' s not the first turkey I ever got, but I figure I was just excited since it was opening day and everything happened so fast. I hope all of you have a successful season.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:16 PM

Default RE: Season over quickly. Nice turkey.

Sorry it is over, but great bird!
Old 04-23-2003, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

walks like a drunk for about 5 yards
What does that look like? I can never remember in the morning.[]

Congrats.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the bird...lmao....what is it with you men and tackling turkey' s....my buddy shot, missed, shot again,missed, the turkey ran into a palm tree, backs up, he shoots again, it runs into another palm tree so he threw his gun down , runs and tackles it......mmm mmmm mmmm...shaking head..lol...whatever works i guess...lol...it ended up having one pellet in the head.....it ended up to be 19 lbs. 11 3/4 beard and each spur was way over and inch.....
Old 04-23-2003, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I think catching one by hand is much more impressive than shooting one with a gun or bow. Congrats
Old 04-23-2003, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

...Hee hee, great story, one for the campfires for sure!!

Congratulations on the bird!
Old 04-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

well i am glad to see you EVENTUALLY got him! congrats.
Old 04-23-2003, 05:12 PM

Congrats on the bird!! I take it Indiana has a one bird limit.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:00 PM

Congrats on a fine bird.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

great story and a nice bird to go with it congrats

Quick Reply: Season over quickly. Nice turkey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.