Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

anybody shot a pardner?

Old 04-22-2003, 03:25 PM

Default anybody shot a pardner?

when i was turkey hunting on Monday i ran into a guy who was hunting with a SBI Pardner. i was wondering what yall think about this gun or do any of yall have any experience with them. it was a single shot 3 1/2 in chamber with a green and black stock and fore-grip. he swore by this gun and said he has taken many birds all the way out to 50 yards. i didn' t think to ask what guage he had but it had a choke in it. what do yall think?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:54 PM

Default RE: anybody shot a pardner?

ok heres the web site, www.hr1871.com i like single shots and plan on getting one of theirs, i dont think any thing is good out to 50 yards you can kill a tom from that distance, but not every time.( i wonder how many turkeys that guy wounded) anyways for the money i dont think you could do any better. just make sure you git one with a screw in choke, and dont bother with the 3.5 chamber,3" is just fine. good luck.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

I owned one in a 12 gauge 3 1/2" for about 3 years. It shot ok. I have to say I got rid of it for 3 reasons. In my neck of the woods, a 50 yard shot just doesn' t happen very often after the trees green up. You just usually have too much brush for them.
#2 (You all may call me a sissy) it just kicked too hard for me. I found myself unconciously flinching when I pulled the trigger. I missed 2 nice gobblers on account of it. #3 The gun came with a super extra full turkey choke from the factory. I shot about a box of 10 shells through it when I was patterning it. I noticed when I got home that the choke was cracked! I took it back and they gave me another choke for it. 3 years later, when I finally sold it, it had cracked another choke. Maybe I just got a bad coulpe of chokes, but that was the last straw.

Hope this helps!

GH
Old 04-22-2003, 07:20 PM

I had one also but it was a 10 Gauge I really liked it and did manage to take a couple birds with it,the only reason i got rid of it is that it kicked like a mule.I been thinking about getting another one but in the 12 gauge.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:29 PM

i went and looked at them at the store today and they were a whopin 120 bucks. not bad for a turkey gun. but the only one they had there was a 12 guage and it had a smooth barrel with no choke threads. the guy said that the 10 guage comes with choke thread but not the 12' s. i was wonder if this is true. the smooth factory barrel was a full choke but would not take a choke. is this true that none of their 12' s will take a choke only the 10' s. i would want a 12 but with a choke. could this be somethin new? it seems like if they make the ten with chokes then the 12' s should have chokes too.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:08 PM

I know one of my huntin buddies just purchased one about a month ago and his has a screw in choke,I know i looked at them last week and seen both types with screw in chokes and with out.

By the way they were the 12 gauge 3 1/2" MAG that i was looking at.
Old 04-23-2003, 07:43 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken a number of turkeys with my 12 gauge NEF Pardner. It is choked full but no screw-in choke. It is chambered for the 3" shell and I have never felt under under gunned as it delivers an honest full choke pattern.

Because these guns are so light they do kick a lot when using the turkey loads. I put a cheap recoil pad on mine and filled the stock with lead. It helps some but she still gets your attention. But hey, when a guy uses those kinds of loads even my Benelli and Beretta can punch hard. I can' t see any noticeable advantage to a 3 1/2" 12 gauge shell. If I am going to shoot a 3 1/2" shell I' ll use a Ten Gauge.

What I like about the NEF is that I don' t worry about it getting abused in the brush or briars. It will do the job that an expensive shotgun will do but without the cost. If I were an executive with their company I would add a rib and/or rifle sights to their turkey guns. Turkey hunting has become so specialized over the years I think they would do well with something like that.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:13 AM

in response to cpac, while shots are often frowned upon over 40yds. it is because of the pattern that normally takes place from the average gun.as mentioned earlier, chokes and shells available today can deliver effective patterns at 40 + yds.it is all about correctly estimating range and knowing your guns' capabilty.i am not in favor of taking shots beyond my guns' capabilty.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:34 AM

i really like the looks and specs of these guns but what is the difference in the 12 and 10 guage. all i have ever shot is a 12 guage so what is the difference besides the size of the shell. and why did someone say that if shootin 3 1/2 they would go with a 10 guage. what is the difference i will see and which is preferable?

Quick Reply: anybody shot a pardner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.