Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Mouth Calls - How long before you replace them? >

Mouth Calls - How long before you replace them?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Calls - How long before you replace them?

Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mouth Calls - How long before you replace them?

Just wondering.

Do you use them until they wear out?

Until they don't sound right anymore?

Replace them every year?

Until a new and improved one comes out?

When?

I am on my 4th year with the same one and wondering if it is time.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:14 PM

Default RE: Mouth Calls - How long before you replace them?

Just depends on how well you take care of. I keep mine in the freezer year round with small pieces of a toothpick seperating the reeds. Also, washing them with 1/2mouthwash and water 2x a week during seasonkeeps them safe.I can usually get about 3 seasons out of mine.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Typical Buck

I keep mine in the fridge during the offseason as well. I use mine until they don't sound good anymore. They usually last me around three or four seasons. I'll have to try the mouthwash and water.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:26 PM

I loose them far before they will wear out. That said, I always freshen up the inventory each spring with new diaphrams...I never pitch out the old ones, just seem to misplace them throughout the year.

This year I will begin washing them in mouthwash/water in order to kill bacteria a few times throughout the week, should cut down on some of those sore throats that pop up halfway through season.

I have used some for 2-3 seasons, but in reality I only get about 1 season out of mine.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

It depends, I generally get a year or two out of them before they get replaced but i admittedly don't take great lengths to maintain them. I prefer friction calls generally and just keep a mouth call in for a few clucks when they get in close. I do use the mouthwash and water thing to clean them off and it also gives them a little bit of a minty flavor...much better then they usually taste haha.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 AM

As long as you keep them in the freezer and put a toothpick in between the top reed and the one beneath it, then you should get two seasons out of it.

Since I run my diaphragms all the time I usually get 4 months out of one before the latex stretches. I have a press, so I make mine for the correct tension I use on each call I make. Good luck and God bless!
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recently talked with Preston Pittman about mouth call care, mainly for competition calls. He said once you get your call exactly where you want it and know that the first sound that comes out of it is going to be perfect, put it in the freezer. He said to not worry about separating the reeds with toothpicks, just put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Then a month before the competition, or your season, take it out just to make sure it's still perfect then put it back in the freezer. Wait til about a few days or a week before the contest or season to take it out and practice with it a little more. Just wanted to point out that maybe the toothpicks aren't necessary, that coming from a veteran world champion caller.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been using the same mouth call for 2 years. I usually use them until they start peeling or falling apart. I went out and bought 3 more this year just in case.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with Trevor. i usually replace mine every year. but mainly cause i run them really hard or mostly cause i lose them.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: SouthernStrut56

Recently talked with Preston Pittman about mouth call care, mainly for competition calls. He said once you get your call exactly where you want it and know that the first sound that comes out of it is going to be perfect, put it in the freezer. He said to not worry about separating the reeds with toothpicks, just put it in a ziplock bag and freeze it. Then a month before the competition, or your season, take it out just to make sure it's still perfect then put it back in the freezer. Wait til about a few days or a week before the contest or season to take it out and practice with it a little more. Just wanted to point out that maybe the toothpicks aren't necessary, that coming from a veteran world champion caller.

Turkey calling has changed tremendously since then. From cadience to just the roll in the yelp. The top reed needs to seperated from the one underneath it so you can work the call correctly. Because if you don't have a toothpick or some type of plastic device to seperate the latex they'll usually stretch and then you won't have consistency on the back tension stretch. I've been turkey calling for the past 7 years at the national level and know a little here and there. I and most of the turkey callers that call competitively will say the same thing. Everything else you said about freezing your calls is correct. I do that every year when I build my mouth calls. I ususally have 4 of the same call just in case the other doesn't run properly.