Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 True Hunt Story To Get You Pumped For 09 >

True Hunt Story To Get You Pumped For 09

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

True Hunt Story To Get You Pumped For 09

Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default True Hunt Story To Get You Pumped For 09

Here's a Hunting Tale to get you pumped! ( true story)

The first time I hunted the area I hunt now. Ifoundonlinetwo areasthat held turkeys so I picked one and headed out. I arrived at dark walked up a hill and owl hooted to my surprise I heard several gobbles on what I could barely make out was a mountain.
I slept in my truck that night and rosewell before light to begin my long hike uphill, it was then that I realized how out of shape I was!
After stoppingmany many times to rest I reachedthe top of a hill and called again, again I heard gobbles but they where closer!
I was pumped!!!
Bad news....I no longer needed my flashlight, I could see a glimmer of light over the mountains. Was I going to miss fly down? I should have gotten up earlier not realizing I was not ready for the up hill climb.
Finally I was on the same mountain as the Gobblers! I put on my face mask, I knew I had to go slow now as I could run into a turkey at any time and spook em, I didn't want to do that!
Shortly I saw movement.... It was a red head... I stopped in mid step, it was a gobbler with hens just across a gully and behind some scrub oak. I saw hens and Jake's going uphill and just past me, about 30 yards below me four Jake's, and then a hen came right by me 4 or 5 ft. from me eating and yelping.
Trying to keep my balance and not be seen I thought don't move let them go and get up a lot earlier!!

I did get up earlier andI got in about 50 yards from the still roosted gobblers, I was excited and nervous, did I really get this close without being seen? Yes!
I set up by a big pine got my wing out and my H.S. calls, I was ready and just that fast I heard hens and gobblers waking on the roost.
Bad news again! I wasbelow them! I wanted to be above them so I would be in their rout of travel. It was getting light so I couldn't move now, I just had to do my best and see what happens.
They where becoming more vocal on the roost so I softly yelped and was answered with a gobble! Ok that was a good sign now I have a chance but not a great one.
I heard ahen do a fly down cackle as she flew down from her perch, I scraped my wing on a tree yelped then I did a fly down cackle as I beat my wing on the tree and ground. 30 minutes had passed and all the birds where on the ground milling around above and out of sight.
I could hear at least one Tom strutting on the ledge above as I listened to his wings drag the ground and his gobbling I thought I have to move on this bird or I will loose him!
My second thought was hell no! don't move stay put, I still have a chance and if not today than I will get him another day. I scanned the area all around and saw no turkeys, this gobbler either expected me to come to him or could care less as he already had hens with him. So I came to him sort of... I was itching to end the stale mate and do something, so Igot up keeping low I moved 25-30 ft. up hill to another tree, leaving my stuff except for my shotgun and one H.S. Strut doubleD mouth call.
I called every5 or so min. just a simple yelp and some cutting.
Then I saw it... a RED Head than two coming down hill and responding to my yelps!It was a Tom with a nice beard and a Jake, when I had a clear shotI took it BOOM! it was almost over.... I had gotten my gobbler but he was rolling down hill fast!
I had to make a mad dash to catch me a Gobbler!
His beard was 8 1/2and he was a 2 year old.
I still take a lot of brakes going up hill but Now I get above them and have a better view!

I hope you liked my story and it gets you Pumped!
Good Luck to All!!
Extremely short video showingthe gobbler I got that day.
http://s702.photobucket.com/albums/ww24/RockyMtnGobblers/?action=view&current=60b7f062.pbr
Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Default RE: True Hunt Story To Get You Pumped For 09

Good story! I had to do something similar to get my bird last year. Amazing how a hung up bird will come in when his "hen" starts moving away.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome story. I like your determination and constant strategizing. Got a pic to go with this story?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I do I'll post it next week when I get home, it's not a great one though I was to excited to pose the gobbler LOL.

I have a short video of him laying on my tale gate and I think I have a picture of him on the ground by my shotgun, it should be on my PC.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for sharing. yes,...stories like that do get me as pumped as my shotgun. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Great story. Sounds like you had a lot of fun.