Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 top 10 turkey calls for someone starting out >

top 10 turkey calls for someone starting out

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

top 10 turkey calls for someone starting out

Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default top 10 turkey calls for someone starting out

a friend of mine posted this on another site, so i though i would post it here where it might get some more attension. well lets here from all the turkey guru's, whats the top 10 turkey calls for a green horn? i guess price is the only rule here,so id sayonly calls under $45 count.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: top 10 turkey calls for someone starting out

palmers hoot tube (good locator call 18.99)
primos heartbreaker box call (great call very loud litle pricey 49.99)

MIND YOU IF YOU ARE NOT PLANNING ON BUYING CUSTUM CALLS
IF YOU AREwww.midestturkeycallsupply.com
THEY HAVE GREAT PRICES AND SELECTION ON ALL CALLS CUSTOM OR MASS PRODUCTION
I WOULD SAY JUST GO THERE AND LOOK

Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) A phonecall from an experienced turkey hunter offering to show you the ropes
2) A phone call from any turkey hunter asking you along
3) A call from a landowner saying there is a puffy one out in the field and how bout you come try him out?
4) A pot style slate call... buy whatever you like... try it first.
5) A box call... same deal
6) A Quaker boy Old Boss Hen mouth call... just to get you on your feet.... start practicing.... you'll catch on
7) A small handheld rake or Wing Thing type device for making ruckus with.
8) A decoy of some variety (that is a call too you know...)
9) Maybe some type of push button box call.. but I've never heard many that amounted to much.. then again I haven't fooled with many either.
10) A wingbone yelper/trumpet call for pressured birds.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

1) A phonecall from an experienced turkey hunter offering to show you the ropes
2) A phone call from any turkey hunter asking you along
3) A call from a landowner saying there is a puffy one out in the field and how bout you come try him out?
4) A pot style slate call... buy whatever you like... try it first.
5) A box call... same deal
6) A Quaker boy Old Boss Hen mouth call... just to get you on your feet.... start practicing.... you'll catch on
7) A small handheld rake or Wing Thing type device for making ruckus with.
8) A decoy of some variety (that is a call too you know...)
9) Maybe some type of push button box call.. but I've never heard many that amounted to much.. then again I haven't fooled with many either.
10) A wingbone yelper/trumpet call for pressured birds.
Great answer Collie. When I started out I was so focused on the calling that it really stunted my growth as a turkey hunter. I could call pretty good but I was stubborn, headstrong, and was determined to kill a turkeyon my own. My best friend was a great hunter and caller (he competed in several Grand Nationals in the '80s) and when I finally started tagging along with him my knowledge and confidence increased and I started killing turkeys. Before that, I made every mistake in the book.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with SwampCollie.

Also, my personal favorite, by far, is the Lohman "Thunderdome". It makes the best sounding yelps ive heard out of any call. Whats also nice is when you have a tom within 50 yards, it makes a very nice sound when you do it real quiet too. Whats good too is that you have the ability to make the call loud or soft. Im actually going to check Ebay right now to see if i can find another one, considering i havent been able to find one since getting one for Christmas a few years back.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Swamp collie said it well. But for calls I would say.
1. Quaker Boy Old Boss hen as well
2. Slate call by Cody
3. Cane Creek calls, all good
4. Haydens owl hooter
5. HS Strut slate call all good
6. Quaker Boy push button call.
7. Quaker Boy Box call
8. Quaker Boy slate GPS
9. Cody mouth calls all good
10. Primos gobbler tube
Old 03-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mouthcaller

Great answer Collie. When I started out I was so focused on the calling that it really stunted my growth as a turkey hunter. I could call pretty good but I was stubborn, headstrong, and was determined to kill a turkeyon my own. My best friend was a great hunter and caller (he competed in several Grand Nationals in the '80s) and when I finally started tagging along with him my knowledge and confidence increased and I started killing turkeys. Before that, I made every mistake in the book.
You and I would probably make a deadly pair on turkeys. I'm exactly the same way.. only I never gave in! Took me ten years before I killed one. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way though. If somebody wants to kill a turkey these days.... I'll put them on one and call it in for them and whatever.... I don't care. But I vastly prefer to make someone do it themselves... I'll stand in the corner and watch and direct and coach so to speak... I've put one guy on four birds now and I doubt he could kill a turkey on his own if he had a week to do it and a farm full of gobblers with no hens in the whole damn county to compete with.
Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

I think you will find that the quality of calls today are pretty good. Most any major call maker will have several calls that will fit your needs and budget. Additionally there are a lot of custom call makers that make great calls. Custom calls can be a little pricer, but often times they sound a little better. I'm personally a fan of Primos calls, and I've also picked up on Enticer calls (enticerturkeycalls.com) that sound great while still being reasonably priced. But if I were you I would pick out a box call, some type of pot and peg call, a mouth call or two, and a locator (I like a crow call better than an owl call) and you will be set.
Old 03-01-2009, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

window.google_render_ad();

I agree with SwampCollie & Mouthcaller
We would make a great threesomeMy first year I tryed walk straight to the Gobbler after I called and it Shut Up...I wonder why?...LoL
My second year before season I called in 15 Birds to less than 35 Yards. I was working a bird for my cousin and a Jake Ran over me and I killed it. You would have thought I killed the Grand Champion of Missouri...LoL My head was soooooo big. I saw and Old Turkey hunter in Town and Country Store and he siad I hear you are a pretty good called, I told him about my bird and said I'll probably never miss killing a Bird again. The next year was the first Missouri Double Season. I never fired a shot. Do you think that guy forgot what I Said??? No Way! Everytime I saw him he reminded me of what I said. I could wright a book about my screw-ups. Later!

TF
Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like everyone else I got caught up in buying all types of calls and carrying them on hunts.To be honest I think I wasted my money.All you really need is two or three mouth calls.Not that other types don't work but mouth calls work best 98% of the time and I've never had much luck at all using locator calls.You do want a good seat pad and a vest or something with a large pocket to carry birds out but that's really all you'll need.Just learn to make all the different calls and your good to go.

Quick Reply: top 10 turkey calls for someone starting out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.