Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Montana turkey decoys

Old 02-02-2009, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Montana turkey decoys

Any body use the Montana turkey decoys or any other 2D decoys.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Montana turkey decoys

I talked to the people from Montana decoys at the SHOT show a couple of weeks ago. They said to be entirely effective on turkeys they recommend using two decoys placed next to each other at a 90 degree angle to one another. This way the decoy won't disappear when faced straight on. They look pretty good and they'd be easy to carry in.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

I saw a video the other night and the hunter was using one of these decoys. While he was successful, he had the decoy in his hand and was kinda flashing it at the incoming turkey to get his attention[:@]. I don't know about you guys but I'm nervous enough with my B-Mobile 10 yards on front of me, forget holding one in my hand. I'm sure that the hunter in the video was not using the decoy as it was intended to be used. Am I just paranoid?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigtimer

I saw a video the other night and the hunter was using one of these decoys. While he was successful, he had the decoy in his hand and was kinda flashing it at the incoming turkey to get his attention[:@]. I don't know about you guys but I'm nervous enough with my B-Mobile 10 yards on front of me, forget holding one in my hand. I'm sure that the hunter in the video was not using the decoy as it was intended to be used. Am I just paranoid?
Paranoid no, smart yes. With everyone using calls and decoys I'd be most cautious during turkey season.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

Well I have a friend that has used them and he has not done that well with them. He got a bird last year but he has put a 3-d jake out with the montana. I don't like 2-d cause you don't know what why they are coming in. I do like the idea of them being lite weight and fold so easy.
Good Hunting.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I am willing to bet it was the Jake decoy. I just don't have any luck with Jake decoys at all and more times than notI see birds shy away.

One time so bad I went out after the birds left and boot-kicked the Jake into a ravine and went and sat back down.

Birds came in - I left that jake there!

JW
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Bigtimer

I have a mounted strutting turkey that I have used a couple times and it makes me really nervous doing so. I was thinking it would be less likely for someone to shoot at a 2D decoy and that's why I'm interested in them.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Fantail, the fact that this guy was "holding" the decoy is what freaked me out. When I set up my Primos decoys out in front of my set up, I'm constantly looking for other hunters that may be accidentally stalking my set up but to have a decoy in my lap......not a good idea. I get what you're saying and I think that it's just a matter of preference. I looked at the reviews on this decoy and they look good. Go to cabela's website and search for "Montana turkey decoy" and read the reviews, they seem to work pretty good. Good luck!