Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bow gear for turkeys?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bow gear for turkeys?

I just got a Bear Lights Out bow that I would love to use this spring during my first turkey hunt. I will have my shotgun at camp too just incase, my questions are:
1. How well do guillotines fly? Do they mess up trajectory?
2. Why don't you want a pass through shot with a normal broadhead?
3. What do you use so the arrow doesn't pass through the bird?
4. Anything else to take into consideration I should know about trying to get my first bird with a bow?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bow gear for turkeys?

1. Dont know, never used them
2. I believe you want the arrow to not pass thru because if you get a pass thru the bird will just fly away, this is what ive always thought anyway
3. They make little washers to go behind your BH's
4. Make sure you know exacty where the vitals are, they are small! Also get the birds in close before you shoot.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for the washers, this is what ill be using this year,http://www.neet.com/products/accessories.html#
go down to the 5th row and all the way to the left
Old 01-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. Don't know but I'd thinkyou'd want a little bow experience before using those.
2. They run or fly and very seldom a blood trail.
3. Turkey Tearror broadhead. (find at cabelas)
4. Don't get nervous! They'll see ya shaking.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

the guiotines fly good to about 20-25 yards i have shot them some.

if your arrow stays in the turkey the broadhead can move arond inside cutting and doin more damage.

be sure its legal in your state,here it says that you cant use anything like that,no barbs, washers ,etc

like said earlier know where the vitals are and be patient dont rush the shot and most of all have fun while doin it.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

1. I use the same bow set up for turkey, bear, hog, and deer so I honestly cannot tell you about the gobbler guillotine.

2. I have never worried about the arrow passing through, but I believe the premise is because they want the arrow inside the bird to do more damage, and to help prevent it from running away since they do not bleed much if at all.

3. Again, I've never worried about it. Most of my shots have been pass thru's, but the arrow kind of sticks in the dirt while the rear of the arrow is in the bird.....I think it all evens out, but what do I know.

4. Here is what you should be aiming at

Patience is a hunters best friend when it comes to turkey hunting, and don't forget about their exceptional eyesight.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with every post on here.

1. The guillotines require extreme practice and they are only good out to 20 yards. Does not fly like your regular broadhead setup.

2. You want the broadhead to do as much damage in the bird as possible. The turkey will sometimes fly great distances so you want that bird to stay on the ground.

3. There are several broadheads that I believe is good but if you do not want to spends another $30-$35 for additional broadheads for turkey, the washers listed ,http://www.neet.com/products/accessories.html#
will do the trick. Around $7-$8

4. Follow the target instructions by Hurricanespg
Great illustration. And also patiience, self control and determination.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

one thing to remember about the guillotines is that with their cutting width they usually require a longer arrow than most use. for instance on my setup they wouldnt work because the BH had to be in front of the shelf.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for your input on this as well, as I am trying to decide if I want to try it this spring. I have no problem finding them but I am not very sure about what would be a shootable bird. Here is a pic I took thia morning while traveling. I think the tom in it might be shootable. But, again I am not sure as I have never hunted turkeys before.