Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 A couple of questions for you experts >

A couple of questions for you experts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

A couple of questions for you experts

Old 07-30-2004, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default A couple of questions for you experts

Bought my new bow today, a Fred Bear TRX, its the 35 3/4 ata length (i think there was a shorter one)

I need to buy an arrow rest, but on that note I am unsure if i should pick carbon arrows or aluminum... my recommended aluminum arrow is 2514, would that fit through a whisker biscuit if i bought one? also, what other rests are good, i have never had trouble pulling arrows off of the rest

2. I have never used a peep sight, i used to anchor on the corner of my mouth when I shot fingers, can I do this again with a release? I prefer to keep it simple, and am not overly excited about peep sights, so I may try it this way, and then see where that takes me...

opinions?

edit: what are some good carbon hunting arrows? and would you recommend 100 or 125 grain broadheads? also, NOT to open the can of worms, I am considering switching to expandables? opinions please?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:00 PM

Default RE: A couple of questions for you experts

as far as the 2514s they should work ---now with a carbon shaft matched to your set up you should pick up more speed and they are alot more durable.but the aluminum will dampen the noise a little more--but if your bow is quiet the carbons should work fine. as far as 100 or 125 grns its all according what you desire. more speed or more kenetic energy. either should work well. as far as a rest i would reccomend the new tko rest with the extension bar that can be converted to a spring style rest or a fall away---which ever you choose.you may want to try the fall away version of this rest later on. so you got the best of both worlds. as far as a hunting shaft there are so many to choose from. i shoot the gold tip xts and have never had a complaint at all.
go to goldtip.com and figure what shaft would work best for you and pay attension to the foc figure you come out with stay between 9 to 15%
something to play with and build your on arrow to see what it looks like.
now i stay with the black carbon in case i want to change my fletching so i dont have to worry about scraping the camo finish off
as far as a peep site try the corner of your mouth to see if you feel comfortable then try anchoring on your jaw bone below the corner of your mouth --- give it a fair try and you will probably end up anchored there. sure a few things will change this way as such as the position of your peep and your sight pins.dont go with the large peep stay with a medium size peep with out the tubing and learn to shoot with both eyes open or squinted(the opposite eye over the peep. its all trial and error but if you stick with it ---it will pay off. years ago i used to shoot with my fingers and it felt a little funny to change but it was all for the better in my opinion.
now this is my opinion on some of the things you asked and i am sure others will very in what i say---but im just telling you what worked best for me. good luck!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off, don't cheap out on your arrows. If you can't afford a dozen good ones, then get a half dozen. If you want to go carbon, I'd suggest GoldTip 3D Pro. If you don't want to spend that much, then get GoldTip XT Hunters. I'd recommend the camo ones for a bit extra weight, and they're easier to pull out of targets.

I can't recommend the standard GoldTip hunters.

If you wind up needing more arrow weight, Carbon Express Terminator Selects are very good carbon/glass composite arrows. Weight is comparable to an XX75 2315. Small diameter like a typical carbon and plenty of weight for excellent penetration on tough game. If I had a reliable local source for Terminator Selects, they'd be my full time hunting arrows.

Use whatever weight tip does the best job of balancing the arrows' FOC and matching their spine to your bow, and shoots most accurately for you. To my point of view, tip weight is a primary tuning issue.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

H80, I prefer carbon arrows for all my shooting. But get good ones. I shoot the PSE Pros and Extremes. Very straight, good weight and spine tolerances.
As to a rest, I like the Trophy Taker Original. Very simple and easily adjusted.
As Arthur has said, broadhead weight is something you need to determine after selecting arrows. Your draw weight will determine arrow selection. Get the correct weight broadhead so FOC is within recommended %. You also need to consider what you prefer for total arrow weight when making your decision. BTW, my hunting arrows are PSE 300s cut 29" with a 100 gr Magnus Stinger. FOC is around 11% with 4" vanes. Total weight is 375 gr.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:07 PM

2514'S! What are the specs on your setup? That shaft is a stiff log!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:58 PM

I shoot carbon arrows with a Whisker Bisquit arrow rest. As far as broadheads, I use Rocky Mountain Gator XP. This is a mechanical broadhead that I would highly recommend. However, they are only made in 100 grain. Your question about 100 grn or 125 grn......Your decesion needs to be based on your arrows "Front of Center".