Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does it really matter?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Does it really matter?

I'm considering getting a camo tape kit for my 870 express but I wonder if it really makes enough of a difference to go through the trouble. My shotgun is a little old with a few shiny spots from wear but other than that it's a matte finish. Do you guys think it makes that much of a difference to the Turkey's? I know they have good eyesight but geez....
Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does it really matter?

I think it doesn't matter. I hunt with a camoed one sometimes andone that isn't at other times. I always get turkey's. Of course I am really, really concealed.

Spudrow from Mo
Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't camo mine. Never had them pick me off because of it. At least I don't think its because of that.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You won't kill any more turkeys with acamo finished gun, that with a flat, non-reflective finished one. A camo shotgun is more a matter of style.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

You won't kill any more turkeys with acamo finished gun, that with a flat, non-reflective finished one. A camo shotgun is more a matter of style.
Whats maytom say : Dittoyou
Old 01-03-2009, 07:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Nope!

Think about it - even with a high gloss bluing on the barrel and reciever - you are hunkered down pointing a cyclinder straight at that Tom. What exactly does he see? If you don't believe me dress up in your camo grab your gun - sit in the normal fashion in the sitting position and aim straight at a mirror. Or have your buddy take a picutre.

Movement at the wrong time is the key. That along with making sure your set-up is in the shadows and not the sunlight like you should - it don't make any difference.

I have been using a 11-87 SP 3" 12 Ga for many years. Yes it show some shiny spots on the stock and forearm but a 000 piece of steel wool can take that off nicely.

Here is my whack machine!

And lastly - taking that camo tape off at th end of the season is a pian inthe butt! I have been there and won't ever do that again. When I first started I used a Remington 870 high gloss field model. Shot a lot of birds with it and then moved on to a samller compact gun I now have.

Oh and with the any ole Camo gun - If ya lay it down, as ya run out to your downed Tom- ya might not find it again!! (joke!)

JW

Ps - It is a matter of preference as I am not slamming anyone who owns a Camo type shotgun - as Yes I own one too and chose that when I bought it. But that gun is for watefowl and is my Turkey back-up.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think it will matter all that much. It probably is more ofa hunters mental thing than anything else. People (myself included) have been shooting them with shiny blued guns long before camo guns were made available.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

it doesn't matter a single bit. i've never used one and never had a problem.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Spike

I used to do the tape thing but i got tired of having to take it off at the end of the season. I have an 870 that i use for turkey hunting and dove hunting. Since i don't ever plan on selling it I went ahead and did my own camo job on it with some camo paint. Looks good and works great.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

I use a non-camo 870 and a camo 835. I have never noticed a difference in whether or not I was spotted.

Quick Reply: Does it really matter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.