Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 LOKKING TO BUY A NEW GUN >

LOKKING TO BUY A NEW GUN

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

LOKKING TO BUY A NEW GUN

Old 12-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Default LOKKING TO BUY A NEW GUN

HEY guys i was looking to buy a new turkey gun for this season but i want to keep it at a reasonable price so if you know any turkey guns that are good priced post it up here for me thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: LOKKING TO BUY A NEW GUN

a remington 870, ive used them for years and always had great success with them, i know several other people who use them as well
Old 12-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, a Remington 870 has probably killed more gobblers than any gun on the market. I started out hunting with one myself, now I hunt with a Benelli SuperNova.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would recomend a Remington 870...
Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg 835 - THE turkey gun
Old 12-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't forget the Browning BPS, the Winchester Speed Pump, the Mossberg 500, the Winchester Super X3, the Stoeger P350, or the Stoeger M2000.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

When it comes to getting good shot patterns do you guys recomend getting the 870 turkey gun or a standard 870 with a longer barrel? I've heard people say that the longer barrel will give a tighter pattern but I was wondering if it was just personal preference or if it really made a drastic difference. I'm thinking that the 21" barrel on the turkey gun would make it much nicer to carry and with a modified choke it'd make a good squirrel gun also.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

When it comes to getting good shot patterns do you guys recomend getting the 870 turkey gun or a standard 870 with a longer barrel? I've heard people say that the longer barrel will give a tighter pattern but I was wondering if it was just personal preference or if it really made a drastic difference. I'm thinking that the 21" barrel on the turkey gun would make it much nicer to carry and with a modified choke it'd make a good squirrel gun also.
With a modified choke, you're gonna need the turkeys CLOSE. I normally use an extra full turkey choke, but sometime full. I like to have a longer barrel, because for me it swings better, and just feels better.

To answer the original question, what's your price range, what else are you looking to do with the gun, etc?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

ORIGINAL: Centaur 1

With a modified choke, you're gonna need the turkeys CLOSE. I normally use an extra full turkey choke, but sometime full. I like to have a longer barrel, because for me it swings better, and just feels better.

To answer the original question, what's your price range, what else are you looking to do with the gun, etc?
I'd just be using the modified choke for squirrels. With both turkeys and squirrels you don't have to worry about how well the gun swings like you would when pass shooting waterfowl. I'm even wondering how the short barrel would do on quail in the thick brush that we have down here in Florida, the 21" barrel with an I/C choke screwed in might work perfect. I want to keep the price under $350 and I've decided on getting a Remington 870 Express with a wood stock. I really like the laminated stock that comes on the standard 870 express but the turkey model has a solid wood stock.

Quick Reply: LOKKING TO BUY A NEW GUN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.