Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Road Hunting

Old 04-07-2003, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Road Hunting

Hey everyone

What do you all think about hunting a flock on a dirt road that isn' t frequently used but is occasionally. I am sort nervous about it becuase not only am I worried about cars or other people, but if it is driven on at all the birds are going to be gone. However, the road is a main route for them.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:49 PM

Default RE: Road Hunting

If you think or know there might be traffic(car or walkers). Don' t chance it Remember Safety is the first thing to think about.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why bother, first off just how are you planning on camoflaging yourself to the environment to fool those eyes. Gluing dirt to your clothes, or hiding in a pile of dirt!!!. Seriously I wouldn' t even risk it, why not just figure out where a better setup is in close proxmity to the nearest woods!
Old 04-08-2003, 02:26 AM

These guys have some good points. We all need to be safety minded. Somewhere there is a hunter that isn' t . The more of us that are ...
Old 04-08-2003, 05:53 AM

I don`t even have to worry about that problem here because hunting from a travelled roadway ( and some wardens take this to mean if it`s ever travelled) is against the law. We get some slack in the north when moose hunting but down here when turkey hunting they mean any road, road allowance etc.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:09 AM

Try to find where they are entering and exiting the road and setup there away from the road. If its legal in your area, and little or no traffic is on this dirt road then you could set off to the side 20yards or so shoot the birds as they cross in front of you. If a bird is standing in front of you there obviously isnt a vehicle in close proximity. However never shoot down the road. I setup on logging roads like this quite often. I have seen birds walking down a logging road and when a vehicle approaches they run into the woods a ways and stop. ONce the vehicle passes they work their way back out to the road.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I don’t think that hunting from the road is very good etiquette. Granted if you’re hunting from the ditch then I wouldn’t see a problem with it. It would be kind of hard to camouflage yourself. I would try to set up somewhere near the road and try to call them and make more of a sport.
wernerjd