Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 IL Jo Daviess Turkey Season? >

IL Jo Daviess Turkey Season?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

IL Jo Daviess Turkey Season?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default IL Jo Daviess Turkey Season?

My father and I hunt Jo Daviess, have for a few years, every year it seems we pick the wrong season to hunt.

Curious if any fellow Jo Daviess turkey hunters are out there and if you have more experience if you have a favorite season?

I seem to recall earlier seasons being colder and birds still not coming to hens, then later seasons, they've been hunted harder, though I wanna say someone said in 5th season they'll come to a hen call, like no other because of the lack of other hens calling by this point?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: IL Jo Daviess Turkey Season?

There are several phases of mating for the wild turkey.

You talk about later seasons where they come readily to any ole hen call and yes that does happen. But my experience it is a very short window of opportunity when the Hens are all nesting and no longer come to the Tom who gobbles off the roost. This will cause increased Gobbling but it is short lived.

Most times what I have witnessed as I hunt Wisc - (not all that much different weather wise for you though you might warm up quicker)

If you can find a hen or hens nesting - wait out that area. A Tom is sure to be cruising the niehgborhood.
single Toms do rome and do remember where hens are. I will sit and wait if I find a hen close by.
OR
I find in my Wisc set-ups I need to pick an area I have a high volume of turkey traffic. Need to sit and be patient. We hunt the Last 3 seasons in Wisc From End of April to third week in May. We have taken burds in all of those seasons and yes they can be tough. But if you can do your homework and scout to develop a travel pattern it will put you in a better position to consistenly harvest a good bird. Hunt where they are - not where you think they are.
Late season I still find hens that are not nesting or have lost their nest only to rebuild.
Early morning if I find a Tom henned up I leave that area only to come back later in the day and softly call. Most times the hen(s) will leave that Tom and I can catch him alone.
Or an ambush by sitting the travel route in a well concealed blind.

Late season I use decoys and have witnessed some good success. Strutting Tom decoy does work well on Dominant birds - a pair of good toms that are not dominant may stay just ouy of range tho or not come in at all. So Tom decoys can be a mixed blessing.

Hope this helps

JW
Old 12-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Central IL. I've killed birds in both ends of the season. The middle IMO, is the hardest.

Just got to scout, and put in the time.

Best of luck!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you in the southern Il turkey zone or the northern then?

ORIGINAL: ICALL2MUCH

I hunt in Central IL. I've killed birds in both ends of the season. The middle IMO, is the hardest.

Just got to scout, and put in the time.

Best of luck!