Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

sights

Old 04-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default sights

I am turkey hunting for the first time this year.

I have a Mossberg 500 with a xx-full turkey choke.

Should I use the existing beads for sighting?

I have heard so many different opinions on this.

Stick with the beads
Use a red dot scope
Use a scope
Use the tru glo sights

I would like to hear what you guys are using. I dont want to drop the money or more importantly put something on the gun that doesnt make sense.

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-04-2003, 10:44 AM

Default RE: sights

I really like the white beads that Remington uses on their turkey guns. I have a 870 that has the brass mid bead and a white front bead. I really like this setup. I just bought a Browning BPS 10 ga. and put a Pentax 2.5x on it. It is really nice for shooting targets but I havent hunted with it yet.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

How well does the gun shoot with what you have? If your pattern hits the center of the target every time then the only reason to add some type of fiber optic sight is to help with low light conditions. On the other hand, my gun shoots a little left so I have adjustable fiber optic sights so I can adjust them and put them right on the turkey' s head rather than aiming to the right of where I want to hit.
Old 04-04-2003, 02:40 PM

I' d use what is on your shotgun now. I have the same shotgun and it has taken everything I' ve aimed it at. It has the brass bead midway down the barrel with the white bead on the end of the barrel. Have used it succesfully on all turkeys I' ve taken and deer also. Used a IC choke for the slugs when deer hunting.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:48 PM

If the factory sights work well use them if not I would opt for the Williams Fire Sights over the Tru-Glo. One of my hunting buddies and I bought Tru-Glo' sa last year neither his or mine made it through the season, they would drift full left windage just carrying the gun. We saved the hunt by gluing them in place. Contacted Tru-Glo twice and never received a reply. Mine are still glued on the gun for a back-up, but I bought a Bushnell Halo Sight , pricey but boy is it nice.
Old 04-04-2003, 05:36 PM

Bill, do it right the first time and put a red dot or a scope on your gun, you won' t regret it I promise you. I have had a scope on my Rem. 870 for 10 years now and I would never consider going back to an open sight or beads. Believe me, once you try a turkey gun with one of these, you' ll know what I mean.
Old 04-04-2003, 07:01 PM

I like the Hi-Viz that came on my BPS. It`s a little bigger than the Tru-Glo but 2 of my buddies have had their Tru-glos break at the worst time.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Lost my rear TruGlo last year and didn' t notice until I had a gobbler within 100 yards[:@]. I' m not the only one that' s had TruGlo fail them in the woods. This year I went with a Williams sights because of them being all metal sights, no plastic parts except the fiber optic. Like others have posted, if your gun is shooting at the center of your target and you didn' t need a scope to see, I wouldn' t bother putting a scope or adjustable sights on. I look at it as one less this to go wrong while out chasing a loud mouth gobbler if you can use the factory sights Good luck this year with whatever you go with.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:32 PM

Hey bud, I shoot the same set up, e/ the white front and brass back bead. Ive used it for 5yrs w/ no problem,taken a bird w/ it too. I think you would be fine.although I' m thinking of going w/ a fiber optic just to enhance my sight picture,but the stock bead works fine.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:33 AM

I' ve been using Tru-Glow sights on my 870 pump gun for approximately 5 years now with no problems what so ever.......I have them on my slug barrel & my turkey barrel....if the are installed properly you wont' have a problem...[:-]...Brampton Mike [8D]

Quick Reply: sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.