Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Team #5 Trooper makes his first bust >

Team #5 Trooper makes his first bust

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team #5 Trooper makes his first bust

Old 10-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Team #5 Trooper makes his first bust

Our dog "trooper" (Weimaraner) made his first bust today. We went over to our lease in the town of Solon, which connects to Baker Schoolhouse State Forest, Plenty of room to work a dog. We had only walked in three-four hundred yards, and I spotted a flock up ahead of us on another logging road. I walked him over to the roadway, and that was all it took. Once he hit fresh scent, Trooper was on a mission. 12-13 birds (mixed flock) He got all the birds up in the air, and I think he came close to catching a few, as they went straight up in the trees. No bark on this break, hope we can do something about that. I got him to settle down behind a stake blind, and called birds in. Funny, I scolded him for low volume growling as I had birds out in front kee-keeing, Second time he growled, I turned to look, and had the two jennies coming in from behind. I managed to turn around, and shoot the bigger one off hand. Trooper had no problem with the shotgun blast. At the shot, the second bird ran towards us. I could have shot, but the birds were small to start with. Tooper went after it, flushing the bird. I believe there were a few more with the two, just could not see them.

Trooper Turns 10 months old on Monday, and I could not be more pleased with him. We have a lot more training to do, but he did well today. Trooper had a ball, and is passed out as I type this.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Team #5 Trooper makes his first bust

congrats...
Old 10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats teamate!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good for Trooper... My congrats to you and him..

I've done some doggin' for fall birds in the past ....It adds a whole new dimesion to the sport..

He's a beautiful dog... Good luck with him...