Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

" Buddy Gobblers"

Old 03-18-2003, 07:54 PM

Default " Buddy Gobblers"

In doing some pre season pinpointing this morning getting ready for sat. opening day, I watched a group of 4 gobblers and 1 Jake fly down into a feild and strut around for 2 hens. The 4 " buddy gobblers" never left each others side
(literally) and strutted all morning. What is the best way to get them to break off the hen and leave each other to come to me. I have battled " buddy gobblers" before, and can never get them to leave each other to come to me, especially if there is a hen around. Help is needed and preciated. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: " Buddy Gobblers"

How bout " buddy hunters" ? Team up with a buddy, set up 30-50 yards apart, side by side or one behind the other, then each guy run a couple different calls, trying to sound like a bunch of hot hens. Or, if you can, go out the evening before and try to bust up the flock before they roost, paying close attention where the toms and hens roost. If they fly opposite directions, and can' t roost to close to one another because it' s to late in the evening.......you might get to be the first hen they hear in the morning, not to mention the closest, which to me, is a huge advantage. You must know your terrain for this work of course........don' t wanna go stumbling through a briar patch in the dark trying to find that lonesome gobbler..
Mikey
Old 03-19-2003, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I' m all for scatterin em then call em back.This tactic works well.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:47 AM

I appreciate the help. Since the season hasnt started yet and I don' t think they have heard much, if any, calling, shouldnt they be pretty intrested in new calling on opening morning. Or should i go ahead and try the " bust ' em" technique
Old 03-19-2003, 10:26 AM

First, you need to contact me with the exact location of these birds. Only then can I meet you out there and really assess the situation. It will probally take at least two hunters to successfully ambush these wise birds.