Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HeviShot choke tube..

Old 03-18-2003, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default HeviShot choke tube..

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here tried the Remington Hevi-Shot choke tube? The Tru-Glo I got 2 weeks ago doesn' t want to do to well at 40 yds, the best load was with #6 hevi-shot, barely scraping together 6 pellets in the kill zone, with gaps here and there, but it showed potential. Every other copper-plated load (I can' t remember all of them) looked terrible at 40. So I was thinking of trying that choke in my 870 and hoping it will tighten up the pattern a little more at 40 with the #6 hevi' s. Any thoughts.....experiences?
Mikey
Old 03-18-2003, 08:45 AM

Default RE: HeviShot choke tube..

I' ve got that exact set up and will be trying it out this weekend. I' ll let you know what my results are.

Todd
Old 03-18-2003, 10:25 AM
MS

I was not impressed with the Rem. Hevi Shot X-Full tube at any distance shooting Rem. Hevi Shot 5' s through my Benelli Nova. The pattern was thin in places and not very well concentrated in the kill zone. The owner of a gun store suggested a factory IM or M choke for this load. Said he had good success with it both patterning and hunting last year. I plan on checking it out over the next few days and will give a report.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I' ll be looking for your and anybody else' s input. I need it......This patterning " chore" is blowing my " 2003 turkey budget" right out of the water.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mikey if you are shooting an 870 try the Rem. Ventilator choke, I don' t shoot the rem hevi-shot thru mine but I do shoot the Nitro hevi-shot and it does great, I posted a target on here the other day and at 40 yards had 243 shot in a 8 1/2 x11" paper, I' m well pleased. I think the Ventilator is one of the most under rated tubes on the market, I have not heard anyone that owns one say they did' nt pattern good.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Strut, I have a ventilator from a buddy coming this weekend, so I' ll see what happens. Fed. #5' s also did o.k. with the tru-glo(.665), maybe the .655 ventilator will close it up a little!
Thanks
Mikey
Old 03-20-2003, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

If I' m not mistaken the Nitro website doesn' t recommend a choke tighter than .665

I would be hesitant about the .655 Ventilator. It could be that you are getting too tight and need to open up the choke some. I patterned my 24" Nova the other day with the factory Modified and Full chokes and was very impressed with the Remington Hevi-Shot. If I can ever get some time again I' ll photo and post results.

MS, do the Remington chokes come to fit a Benelli? or have you had your Nova refitted for RemChokes?

Ah, here it is (I printed it out and it' s laying on my desk.)
Tighter chokes than .665" do not improve pattern percentages to any extent and in fact begin to produce more open patterns.
Their tightest test patterns were with the NEW HEVI-SHOT (.675" ) at 94%
Old 03-20-2003, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

Powduck,
I agree with your thoughts on the hevi-shot and the .675 choke. I have no intentions of funneling 1 5/8 of it through a .655 ventilator. I plan on trying my standard copper loads through the ventilator. I really would like to use the hevi shot, but it' s cost, and loose pattern at 40 just don' t seem to fit my gun right now. I was hoping someone out there would have a good review of the remington hevi-shot tube (w/hevi-shot) which could possibly be my next move if the ventilator w/copper rounds doesn' t help me. Thanks.
Mikey
Old 03-21-2003, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was pleased with the Ventilator choke and copper shot, until I shot the Nitro hevi-shot, .655 might be tighter than they recommend but it does me a great job.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

If it works for you, Go For It! [8D]

Here' s a good article on real patterning with Hevi and a Rhino choke.
Patterns w/Pics

Quick Reply: HeviShot choke tube..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.