Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HeviShot choke tube..

Old 03-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: HeviShot choke tube..

Looks like the .660 choke out done the .665 pretty bad from the link you posted.

Old 03-22-2003, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Well, blow me down. I need to start drinking my coffee BEFORE checking and reading the boards in the mornings. []

Good spot there, Strut. We' re all still learning with this stuff. I was merely pointing out what the manufacturer said. I guess they usually tend to be overly cautious due to the lawsuit-happy tendencies of our society.

When I tested it with my Nova I used the full choke that isn' t made for steel shot but I tried it anyway. Worked well and no damage to the gun, choke, or threads.

Old 03-22-2003, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah PowDuck, I talked with Nitro and they told me that none of their Hevi-shot would hurt your barrel or choke in any way. I think Remington is just being overly causious and maybe trying to sell everyone a new choke. I don' t know if they have even tested the Ventilator choke but they said I should expect about the same results with it as I would a Rhino. I know their ammo shoots the tightest pattern that I have ever got.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I did some testing this weekend with the ventilator, and wasen' t really pleased with the results. I fired probably half a dozen different loads of #5' s through it, and it wasen' t as good as my Tru-Glo with the same loads. I haven' t shot any #6' s yet, only 1 5/8 #6 rem. hevi-shot., which is my " go to" load (w/ tru-glo) if nothing else steps up and does better. I will say that the weather this past saturday in sw pa was rather crummy for patterning, with very high winds, so I kept my shots at 30 yds. This weekend I plan on giving the borrowed ventilator a few more rounds with some copper 6' s, and also trying to find a factory full choke to try the hevi stuff with. For some odd reason(cooler weather??) the hevi shot did a lot better this weekend than last, averaging 18-24 pellets in head/neck primos target(40 yds. when winds calmed), instead of the aforemention " 6" that I stated in my first post on this thread. Hence, my go-to load.....unless bested by something else. I' m also considering giving Nitro a call(economy load, anyone?), waaay to many good remarks on here to not try that stuff!! Yes, guys, I' m a tinkerer, and suffereing from severe cabin fever from a long pa winter, so I' m still shootin' !

Mikey

support our troops
Old 03-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Have you tried the hevishot through your regular full choke? I found the pattern sufficient out to 40 yards in my Benelli M1 90. I am not overly concerned about super tight patterns, as most of my birds have fallen at around twenty yards. I believe the hevishot acts like steel, in that in a very tight choke the pattern compresses and thenreoils from the comprssion and spreads the pattern apart.