Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How Much Do You Practice? >

How Much Do You Practice?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How Much Do You Practice?

Old 03-05-2003, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default How Much Do You Practice?

BTs post about practicing with a cold got me to thinking about how much I practice and how that compares to others. I am passable with a mouth call (I can do everything but purr) and friction calls and get the job done with locators. I am not real good with any of them. When I start practicing in the winter months it does not take long for me to get back up to speed but I don' t get a lot better.

I am curious as to how much others practice and any tips you have to get really good. I will pull my calls out for 20 or 30 minutes at a time a couple of times an week and listen to instructional tapes and recorded turkey sounds but I would like to know what others do.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:16 AM

Default RE: How Much Do You Practice?

I uaually start just a few days before the opener,to make sure I can still do it.
I have three calls is all I use.
I have a scratch box,that I have had for nearly 30 years,that is what I use the most.
I have a mouth diaphram,for the final min. and to cackle with.
then a slate to do the good purrs.
thats about it.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

...I start about 1 month before opening day,that way i will have my urge to call to much slimed down
a little,and be confident in my calling...[8D]....
Old 03-05-2003, 09:21 AM

Everytime Im alone (Started driving the family crazy on TV night.) I practice off and on until opening day. I listen to recordings some. When I get out on opening day I want my calling to feel automatic. I am by far not a great caller, by human ears standpoint ,but I am consistant and do have a good tone that the birds consistanly like. I learned a long time ago that what you might consider realistic
sounds doesnt necessarily mean the gobbler does. I have called in many birds on
an old Walmart Slate call that I bought about 8 years ago. It sounds like a hen on
her death bed but it will bring them in. Call softly, Call costistant, Call sparingly.
Its not necessarily the sound of the yelp, but when you use it. Works for me.,
Old 03-05-2003, 10:55 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

I practice at home with friction calls when wife is shopping! My baby boy loves the sound! When I am driving in car, I practice the mouth calls... which is good until some babe pulls up next to me in her car... then I' m just embarrassed!! You gotta just love all aspects of turkey hunting!!!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

I practice all year long..you can never get enough practice......I try to call atleast four days a week. The mistake that most guys make is picking up the calls the day before the season. If you practice alot it becomes second nature and you don' t second guess yourself leaning against a tree wondering why he was gobbling at you at 150 yards but when he got to within 75 he turned and went the other way.

Just my opinion doesn' t mean it' s right but then again doesn' t mean it' s wrong.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:15 PM

Everyday I practice a mouth call while commuting to work since New Years. It totals about six hours a week. I am trying to let it be second nature.
Slates, couple times a week.[8D]
Old 03-05-2003, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I start practicing a little in fall, and then more often in mid Jan. We have an early spring season compared to a lot of places.
Mouth calls while driving, slate a little, call while watching vids/TV. From listening to the pros, I have a lot of room to improve.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:12 PM

Often enough that it used to drive my ex wife crazy! [8D]
Old 03-05-2003, 04:19 PM

Only on my day off during the week while the little lady is at work!!

MTT

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Practice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.