Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Poults spotted this morning???? >

Poults spotted this morning????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Poults spotted this morning????

Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Poults spotted this morning????

I was driving to class this morning and looked into a field to my right where I see turkeys almost every day. There were 3 nice lookin' jakes and one hen with about 5 or 6 newly hatched poults. They must have hatched in the past day or two, they were so small I could barely see em over the fresh cut grass. Just thought that was pretty weird as most hatch in May and it's now mid July. It was great to see though. I rolled the window down and gave 3 loud gobbles at em, those jakes didn't know what was going on! Anybody else ever seen newborn poults this late?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poults spotted this morning????

not lately......
Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Dominant Buck

I copied this from the Trail Cam forum..............Notice the date!

Old 07-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's about the size they should be at that time. Southern strut said he thought they were newly hatched poults, which for this time is a little late, but not impossible. I've seen toms strutting around hens into June before, so it can happen. I believe after mating, the sperm from the tom remains fertile in the henfor about 30 days, so even if the hen unsuccessfully laid a clutch, she can do it again later without mating again. When fishing a few years ago in mid June, I saw a hen fly across the bayou. I saw movement on the bank where she took off from. There were 8 or 9 quail sized poults. They were tiny, and I was thinking, why did she leave them on the other side of the bayou. Just a few seconds later, one at a time, each tiny poult flew across the bayou to the waiting hen. I can't believe they can fly so quick after hatching. Natures way of protecting its wildlife. It was pretty neat seeing those tiny turkeys able to fly.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:07 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

That's about the size they should be at that time. Southern strut said he thought they were newly hatched poults, which for this time is a little late, but not impossible. I've seen toms strutting around hens into June before, so it can happen. I believe after mating, the sperm from the tom remains fertile in the henfor about 30 days, so even if the hen unsuccessfully laid a clutch, she can do it again later without mating again. When fishing a few years ago in mid June, I saw a hen fly across the bayou. I saw movement on the bank where she took off from. There were 8 or 9 quail sized poults. They were tiny, and I was thinking, why did she leave them on the other side of the bayou. Just a few seconds later, one at a time, each tiny poult flew across the bayou to the waiting hen. I can't believe they can fly so quick after hatching. Natures way of protecting its wildlife. It was pretty neat seeing those tiny turkeys able to fly.
Now is the time to be Yote hunting!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kill all you can brother. One less yote means one happier poult.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

YeahI figured she must have re-nested after a bad clutch, just very very late. Nice picture Rebel, looks like a great hatch this year!
Old 08-07-2008, 09:18 AM

when they are polts can u tell if there toms are not
Old 08-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Every once in awhile, we'll see some poults that are smaller than those in the picture in August. I just flushed a bunch of them last weekend when I was checking the trail cam. They were smaller than in the picture above, but old enough to fly into the trees. Maybe 3-4 weeks old? Pretty cool to see them.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hunter20084

when they are polts can u tell if there toms are not
When they are that small, I don't think it's possible to tell the difference by looking at them.

Quick Reply: Poults spotted this morning????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.