Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey calling

Old 03-03-2003, 11:00 AM

Default turkey calling

When you first get into the field what calls do you use and when? When do you use certain calls and at what time? If you get a gobble to answer you right away, do you call again or just stop and wait?
Old 03-03-2003, 04:46 PM

Default RE: turkey calling

if you dont know which or what, pick a call(one that your good at) and start off with some soft yelps. if you get a reponse give a couple more so the tom can zero in on you and shut up. if you done your scouting, an know you got turkeys around, somebodys gonna say somethin. im new at this and i am gonna rely on a decoy or two, but i aint gonna call too hard (i hope)
Old 03-03-2003, 05:06 PM

if u r just seting up on a field i would use decoys the work well yelp softly a few times if no responce cluck a few times and yelp afterwards louder than the first time if u c a turkey amnd he is comeing shut up!!!!!!!!1 and let him come
Old 03-04-2003, 10:03 AM

If the birds are still on the roost i will do a soft tree yelp and be quiet until flydown time. Then I will do a flydown cackle. If I get a good response I' ll start with some excited yelps. Every situation is different but this is the normal start to my day.
I only call enough to keep[ the gobbler coming. If he is with hens i will try to make the hens mad by mixing some cutts with the yelps. If you hear the hens getting excited. Try to copy them but increase the volume. I have pulled in several hens this way with a gobbler in tow.[:-]
Old 03-04-2003, 04:54 PM

I start off with a few soft yelps and then gradually get a little louder, but not much. I call very little too. If i hear a gobble, i wait awhile and yelp a little more. I started doing this last season and called in more birds then any of the other years ive turkey hunted.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone i appreciate your help. What calls do you normally use? I can' t use diaphram calls so what do you suggest? Thanks again.

Ben
Old 03-05-2003, 04:21 AM

A push/pull type of call is just about foolprooof, and one can do a range of calling on it. I prefer to use a diaphram call, and sooner or later you may need to learn to use one. Just take your time and practice at home, not in the field unless you are actually hunting. I don' t recommend any practice calling in the field, it will get the birds call-shy.

I don' t like to do any calling right off of the bat if I can keep from it. From hunting the same public and private places for years, and having my scouting down pat, I will go to a transfer area between the roost and the strutting area. I will just sit and listen. If I hear a gobbler withing a couple hundred yards of me, sound off the roost, I will call just loud enough for him to hear me with a series of yelps one time. That puts the idea in his head that he is planning on traveling the right way to begin with. Then I will sit and wait untill at least 9:30 if there is no action coming in. A tom, if he is in the mood to gobble, will gobble his head off just to hear his teeth rattle between the roost and his strutting area, trying to draw in hens. I f he isn' t, then you will have to be a deer hunter in the turkey woods for awhile, just keeping an eye out on any movement. By not calling, for me, I can get a fix on his location, whether he is coming towards me, or if he is going to a new strutting zone. This helps in the aid of scouting while hunting, without trekking through the woods. Plus, by not calling too much from the start, you narrow the chances of an old hen that may have roosted with him, dragging him off the other direction. Keeping the calling to a bare minimum, for me, keeps the birds focused on their main path from the start, which makes them semi-predictable if your scouting is correct. After 9:30 or 10:00 in the morning, if nothing has happened, then I will start getting in a mood to move on a bird, or do a little more calling for a satelite tom prowling the edges of a harem of hens. These birds are fairly easy to attract when located off of the remaining main flock of hens, and still can run in the 20+ pound range.

But if you try this to no success,,,,,,,I may not know what I am talking about...[8D]
Old 03-05-2003, 04:24 AM

[8D] Hey Hunterben...I too am useless with mouth calls & therefore use box calls, slates or whatever I can find that does not go into my mouth....just practice till you get good with one & go for it....i' m still trying to master, opps should say, still trying to get a sound out the the mouth call.....well maybe one day.....Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 03-05-2003, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

Depends on what time of the day....early morning I would make some soft tree yelps. Try to sound like a hen just " waking up." Later in the day, I might want to crank up the volume by using a slate call or even better, a box call. The key is DON' T OVER CALL! This is the single greatest mistake many beginners make. Try to limit your calling to about every 20 mins or so.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:23 AM

Does anyone know of some mp3' s that show turkey calls?

Quick Reply: turkey calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.