Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ticks and biting bugs

Old 03-02-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Ticks and biting bugs

Kind of a weird question, but how bad are the ticks and other biting bugs in your part of the country? I mainly hunt in Oregon in the spring and fall, and I am out scouting thoughout the year. I have had to remove two ticks over the past few years. How bad is it for you and what kind of protection, if any, do you use?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ticks and biting bugs

Not bad at all right now but in a few months they will be. The best I have found is a product called Duranone or Permanone, if you use it you won' t have many ticks, guaranteed.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:27 PM

I have seen spring seasons when the ticks and mosquitoes and gnats were bothersome but for the most part they are usually not too bad. Two years ago was the worst I can remember. The mosquitoes and gnats were so bad, I carried a can of Deep Woods Off in my pack. That was the only year I ever carried bug repellent though. It was a wet spring and there was a lot of standing water in the low places. That makes the use of a headnet and gloves double up as bug protection instead of just camoflauge. The amount of insects just depends on how warm it is and how much rainfall we have gotten that spring.

MTT
Old 03-02-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Camo,I always carry a can of Repel with me to the woods!I learned the hard way and had to many occasions trying to sit still when the mosquitos left me light headed!Repel does a pretty nice job of keeping them blood suckers from humming around my facemask! A few years ago when I hunted the brush country in Texas I never saw so many ticks in my life!I even caarried a few home stuck in my side with me![:@]Permanone is the ticket on those nasty suckers but the real problem I' ve had the last few years is these dang piss ants!Bug spray or not they still get on ya and bite like hell!!![:@]
Old 03-03-2003, 02:13 AM

They can get bad in Iowa in the late season. Permanone is what I' ve used for years. Can' t beat it.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:43 AM

come to the swamps of Fla.there aren' t many sketters here any more,the gators and cottonmouths have eaten them all.
if you get on the high ground,the rattlers take care of everything there.

if you want to test your spray come on down.although it doesn' t work on the gators..[8D].

all kidding aside they get reeeaaaal B.A.D. sometimes in the swamp.
I have not turkey hunted in several years without getting my feet wet to the knees.

Repel works pretty good if you keep it on all the time and refresh it every hr. or so.
Old 03-03-2003, 07:24 AM

They havent been to bad here in a couple of years. A few years ago they were real bad i walked into the woods for about a half hour and was covered with them. But they havent been bad the last two years i dont even remember the last time i had a tick on. I think it was some time last fall. Early fall.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Permanone is a definite every time I go out. I spray it on ALL my clothes; hat, roll my pant cuffs up and spray my socks, too. I RARELY if ever get a tick on me anymore. Spraying the hat helps for the skeeters then I carry OFF or some other repellant if they are bad for my skin areas (neck, ears, wrists).
Old 03-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I cannot stand the skeeters.. ticks i can deal with, but the skeeters are something awful... I usually use permanone..

Quick Reply: Ticks and biting bugs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.