Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Cut & Run vs. Sit & Wait >

Cut & Run vs. Sit & Wait

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Cut & Run vs. Sit & Wait

Old 02-24-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Cut & Run vs. Sit & Wait

how do you all prefer to hunt? cut & run or sit & wait. just curious to see which is the majority.
Old 02-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cut & Run vs. Sit & Wait

I prob sit and wait more than i cut and run...
Old 02-24-2003, 06:10 PM

an old indian saing, when you dont know where to go , stay put
Old 02-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

In my early years, i subcribed to the cutt-n-run strategy. Now that im older and wiser, im much more reserved. Do far less callin and more watchin.[]
Old 02-24-2003, 06:56 PM

I do both, if the birds are hot & gobbling like mad I might run & gun till I hit a bird that comes in, maybe not - depends on howI feel and what I think is pushing it. On more slow days I tend to hunt areas I know turkeys like to hang out in & just wait & call a little & see what happens.

When I bow hunt I tend to be a lot more cautious and do a more slow & strategic style of hunting. I tend to focus on roost areas & then try to get between them & where the turkeys are feeding or struting. With this method a little calling goes a long way. you can hunt out of blinds or treestands, it' s a lot like deer hunting but it does work!

honestly I think it is more on my mood than the turkeys! lol you know in the afternoon sometimes I just feel like I just have to get a gobbler to sound off so I just take off & run & gun. I think birds are more used to hunting & have changed some but also I think turkey numbers are so high in most areas the competition for hens isn' t that high so they really have no need to answer calls so much.

Old 02-24-2003, 07:40 PM

I' ve done both in the past and have been much more successful with the sit and wait. Since I bow hunt as much as I gun hunt turkeys, the cut and run is more difficult.
Old 02-24-2003, 08:11 PM

Cut and Run is way more fun!!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

well, I run and gun as well as sit and wait.. I like to run and gun more, but all three of my turks have been killed by me being patient!!! my AR bird took me a week and a half to kill last spring!! he always had hens, so i studied him and every day i was in the wrong spot.. Came real close twice, and finally after a week and a half, my studying paid off!!
Old 02-24-2003, 08:42 PM

hopefully i will have 6-8 birds located by opening day.if nothing gobbles i will hit all spots before going in woods. if nothing gobbles at all, i will go in where i' ve located them before and do the sit, call a little, and wait. i' ve had several come in like this never saying a word
Old 02-24-2003, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

we (me and my dad) usually cut and run alot more....hes impatient and if he thinks a bird is loosing intrest we are after another one...but i cant count how many times we come through the same area to see/hear the same turkey that probally had hens and lost them and came looking for us....or they just shut up and take a few minutes longer....and cant count how many times we stood up thinking he left to be busted because he went silent.....i hate silent birds!!!! both you can be very succsesful though...cut and run works for my dad....i think when i hunt alone im going to sit there...maybe doze off...when they come and cant see the hen they always seem to blow out a shocking gobble looking for that hen he knows he heard...then i wake up and take him because normally from what ive seen they come within 20 yds of where we were sitting....

Quick Reply: Cut & Run vs. Sit & Wait

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.