Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tagged Out!!!!!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tagged Out!!!!!

Well guys, my 1st turkey season will be one to remember. Chris and I set up early this morning on the other side of the field where I took my first turkey last week but didn't see anything. Chris had to leave and go to work around 7:30 am so I decided to set up on a field where we had been seeing some jakes. It just didn't feel right, no confidence at all so I packed up the decoys and cruised around the club looking for a lone tom. I saw a hen and a few deer while riding around but nothing to get excited about. As I approached a field that we had seen birds in earlier in the season, I shut the truck off, got my binos out and eased to the edge of the field. When I peeked around the corner, I saw a turkey in the field and the binos confirmed that he indeed had a red head. From here a stalk would be impossible so I had to drive around the block of woods to get into position for a stalk. Now, I can't tell you how many times that I got busted doing this by not being patient so when I left the truck I told myself that if it took me 2 hours to cover the 200 yards that it would take to get close enough for a shot then so be it. I had nothing to loose. I put all my camo on and eased down the side of the road. Luckily there was a pine tree between me and the bird so I was able to walk upright instead of crouching real low which is really painful for me to try and do. The last 30 yards were on my hands and knees and when I got to the pine and peaked my head up to see if he was still there, I couldn't believe what I saw. Three longbeards at around 40 to 45 yards. I picked out the biggest one in the crowd and fired. Guys, I've had the time of my life turkey hunting this year but I really wish that Tyler could have been with me today, maybe we could have doubled up. I really want to thank you all for answering all my questions and reading my long, drawn out posts, ( just want y'all to be there in the moment). Saturday is the last day of the season here in NC and I really hope to get Tyler on an adult bird even though I'm very proud of him for harvesting that jake last weekend. Oh, 11inch beard, 1&1/4" spur and a 1&1/2" spur, 21.5 pounds.

God Bless,

Ray
Old 05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tagged Out!!!!!

Congratulations bigtimer thats a realnice gobbler
Old 05-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

way to go
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Typical Buck

ALRIGHT RAY GLAD TO SEE THINGS WORKED OUT FOR YOU

MAYBE NEXT YEAR A BAD BOY BUGGIE WILL MAKE YOUR HUNTS EASIER

CONGRATS

BILL
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great bird... congrats...

Old 05-08-2008, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome, geat job
Old 05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck of a bird!! WTG!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll say!!!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Way to Go! I knew you would do it.

As for TF he still has not fired a shot[:@]
Old 05-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Nice bird. Congrats to you. Good luck with your son too. I loved the story.

spudrow from Mo

Quick Reply: Tagged Out!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.