Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Springtime...

Old 05-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default Springtime...

Just been passing the time until I leave for my Wisconsin and Minnesota turkey hunts next week. I get out quite a few mornings each spring with camera in hand just to sit, listen, and view it all. This week, got a few pix. First one is an angry beaver that was slapping his tail at me.

Later in the morning I found this long beard on a field edge. He's a good size bird and hopefully I find one like him on my hunts this spring.

Tuesday morning got up at 4:15am and headed out to a local spot. I always pick places where hunting isn't allowed but they hold a fair amount of birds. I brought Wiley (My springer)with and carried along a section of camoflauge netting to put over him. We snuck down along a river on some state land and before first light a gobbler sounded off right on the river's edge. We plopped down against an oak, got situated, and let him know we were there with a few soft clucks and yelps. He sounded off in response and I got the camera out. As it got light I could see him sitting on a big limb out about 70 yards. He gobbled a few more times, walked back and forth on the limb, shook his feathers out, and flew out of the tree in our direction. Got camera up and ready as he was close. He came right in strutting and I got a few pix off until he reached about 8 to 10 yards and then figured out there was something wrong. In low light and even in low light setting, pix are still grainy. Nice bird though and it was cool seeing him this close.

Then about 15 minutes later I called in 3 jakes whose gobbles weren't quite up to par with the old fella.

Wiley just sit tight curled up with his head against my leg.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Springtime...

Great pictures, sounds like a great time too. Your dog must be trained well.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool pics. Great dog you have. I have a chocolate Lab mixed with Springer and I love her but she would of been chasing those birds all over high heaven.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

For all of his energy he does pretty well. I can't wait till next Tuesday as I'll be going out with a friend to help him get a bird and then leaving for SW Wisconsin later that day to hunt there and SE Minnesota back to back...Sweet...