Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Got er' done!!!!!

Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got er' done!!!!!

Before daylight, Chris and I arrived at the area where he had roosted a strutting tom yesterday evening. We set up the decoys, had a word of Prayer and settled in for another hunt to remember. The birds started gobbling right on time but were a little further down the branch than we would have liked. Instead of heading in their direction, we decided to stick to our original plan and that was to sit tight, be patient and wait for the birds to come to us. Things started to pick up a little when 2 hens flew down in the field across from us. I saw something moving in the field and when I got my binos up, I got the rare opportunity to witness a hawk take down a rabbit and leave the field with it. Anyhow, We heard a bird gobble somewhere near the truck. This was a little unusual because the truck was parked in the clubhouse parking lot. I began to call with a Primos JackPot glass slate call, softly at first and then I cranked up the volume a bit trying to get the attention of the "clubhouse bird". Shortly after that we heard a twig snap directly behind me and it wasn't long before Chris saw 3 does about 20 yards out and feeding our way. I couldn't see the deer but was watching Chris as the does get closer and closer. I heard another noise that I had never heard before and when I looked at the decoys, there were 2 fans in the set up, not one. I already had my gun resting on the shooting stick so when the gobbler went behind a huge tree I quietly shouldered the gun which quickly got Chris's attention. That bird was spitting and drumming as it circled the Chris's homemade decoy (see pictures). He stayed in full strut for about 5 minutes and pretty much out of my sight. Chris kept whispering shoot!!, shoot!!, but I couldn't. Chris gave a couple of soft purrs and when he did the tom dropped his fan and stuck his head up high. He crumbled at the bark of my 11-87!!! It really was an incredible moment. I had finally done it with the help of my good friend, Chris but I would have loved for Tyler to have been there. As it started to sink in what I had done, I realized that Tyler should still be on the way to school and when I called the wife's cell, Tyler answered and I gave him the news. He weighed 18 pounds, has 10 & 1/4" beard. One spur was 1 & 1/4" and the other 1 & 1/8". He is a beautiful and will look good in the living room. Thanks for all the help and tips that you guys have sent my way.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Default RE: Got er' done!!!!!

Hell you got it down pat now. Nice first bird.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go BT!!!!!. Now you and Tyler can work on that double.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang.. nice job bud.. way to keep at it..
Old 05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

you the man!
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Bird. Congrats. Now when you actually wanna shoot a deer they never come that close. lol.

Good Job!!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice bird! You guys make a good team!
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 AM

Congrats on the Bird !!!! Great Job
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome!!! Great pic too.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad to see ya connect man. it makes me happier knowing you was able to get your first one down even though i haven't. Big Congrats to you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.