Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Finally!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Finally!!!!!!!

As some of you know, my 11 year ols son and I are turkey hunting for the first time this year and have had a hard go at it. We've been busted so many times it isn't funny but we have learned so much from you all and our friends. Being handicapped has not helped either, we pretty much have to try and roost a bird and get as close to him via a road of field and try to call him to the opening. Well, my boy got a jake Saturday morning!!!. Here's the story as it was posted on another site.

Tyler and I saw these birds last Saturday but a stalk would be impossible so we decided to let them do their thing until we could get Tyler in there yesterday. We wanted to do it earlier in the week but he's missed a couple of days of school this year on hunting and such (in other words, Mama said "NO" ) Anyhow, these birds were in the perfect spot for an ambush so a good buddy of ours Chris Murphy, watched these birds all week while he was commuting back and forth to work and agreed to help us get it done. Chris is a great Christian friend that dreams of being a guide one day and to look at his photo albums and to hunt with him, you would agree that this is definitely his calling. We arrived well before daybreak and as we were getting ready at the tailgate, Chris asked if we could pray together as he felt that the Lord's presence was with on this beautiful morning that God had created, harvest or not, we held hands and prayed for a safe and memorable hunt. Minutes later, we were set up just off the road in some thick brush and waited. We heard a gobble off in the distance but nothing close. After daybreak, Chris crept up to the road, peek out and gave us the "thumbs up". When Chris got back to us he recommended some soft calling and just let the turkeys follow their daily routine which would put them in our lap eventually. After settling down, I could hear familiar sound of Chris breathing heavier and heavier indicating that snoring was soon to follow . Tyler followed suite with his head drooped down, he was out as well I did manage to get a picture of the sleeping with my cellphone but haven't downloaded them yet . Twelve minutes later, a hen popped her head in the small opening that we had to shoot through and when her head went behind a pine sapling, I raised my gun and started whispering at Tyler to get him to wake up. By this time, the hen was in the opening and the jake was just starting to come in to view, Tyler finally woke at that point and I heard Chris whispering desperately "don't move, don't move yet, but it was to late, Tyler snapped his gun up and when he did, the hen busted us and was starting to get out of there but I guess the jake wanted to see what had spooked her. BIG MISTAKE, Tyler sent a load of #5s through the little opening sending that jake to the promised land!!! Let me say this, I truly wished that each and everyone of you could have been there. It was as if he had shot a B&C megabuck!! There was jumping, hugging and praising the Lord as we approached Tyler's prize. At one point it looked like Chris started to get a little misty eyed as he watched a moment unfold before his eyes that would last a lifetime and further strengthen the existing bond that we all felt for one another. Chris has a 6 year old boy that is surely going to be an outdoorsman, just like his dad. As Tyler admired his first turkey, Chris shook my hand, thanking me for allowing him to be a part of this, but I was the one that was thankful. Chris kept an eye on these birds for one reason, Tyler. As Chris likes to say" When I tell ya I got one roosted, he's roasted We took pictures, got the bird cleaned and in the cooler, went to town to get some breakfast and returned to see if I could get a bird but it just didn't pan out. Tyler did manage run my cellphone battery nearly dead calling folks and telling them about his luck and Saxman was at the top of his list. Sorry about the long post but I wanted "The Family" to be there with us.

God bless you all!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally!!!!!!!

Excellent story and a great bird! Give Tyler a slap on the back for me and an "atta boy"!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats to you and him, I got that experience this year as well!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!!! That's awesome!!! I think watching your son/daughter get a bird is more exciting that any hunt you'll ever have alone.

Good job. Way to keep the tradition alive.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats to you guys!!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and a big congrats!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 AM

Good deal..... He'll be hooked for life now.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Yahoo - another turkey hunter is born!

Congrats - Now BT yer turn to whack one - go get em!

JW
Old 04-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is just awesome! There is nothing like it. Good job to you guys. Now go get yours buddy!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Wow! Fantastic story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. That was gosh darn exciting to just read about it! Congratulations!

Quick Reply: Finally!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.